Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Commodore - My diary.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Double bubble

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I hadn't really given it any thought to be honest. The recommendation was to go to a t400 which is an unappealing prospect at this stage as I want to get this car engineered and they wont pass it with a t400.
And I just assumed the difficulty and cost of a later modern trans would be out of my price range.
Been reading a little about it since I seen your post though and seems fairly easily achievable.
This post is a pretty easy one to follow doing a conversion into a vt-vz with a 6l80e
I'll see the transmission guy tomorrow and see what my options are
If you are going to do the 6 speed conversion, go the 6l90, they are built for the lsa.

Use the ve 6l90 tranny, or you will get into trouble tcu (2650) not being compatible with the vf. (you can get them to work together, but a lot of f#cking around).

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Another thought, convert to 6 speed manual?

I have concidered this, it would be cheaper and easier than swapping out the 4l60e for a different automatic transmission, which would probably need a build anyway

For reliability it's a good option

But I'm lazy and my VX is a boat and I enjoy "cruising" around in D.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Well just got back from a couple of transmission shops and both have said the same thing.
4l60e's are never going to survive for long with a stroked and blown ls

6l80e and 6l90e are not much better. Apparently you cant really beef them up because of the extra gears which reduces the space between gears for clutches etc. There is also the problem of finding one

Turbo 400 is the only trans they would recommend that will happily take the power reliably. There are a number of problems with the t400 for me though. First is the cost, then its a big job which would take my car off the road for another extended spell, but mainly is the aesthetic of it..the shifter that is. They can make it look like a manual shifter but I may as well do a manual conversion in that case. I'm a bit like Ginger Beer though...lazy :p
So I decided to get the 4l60e built as good as I can get(within my remaining budget) and hope it will last 12 months (or more) while I decide on the t400.

Reactions: Lex

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
What size pulley are you using?

How many torques/dyno powers?

What rubber are you using?

Due to the limitations of my 4l60e, even after getting Craigs to throw everything they had at it, I told my tuner that straight out power was not the requirement, I want supercharger noises, a modest power upgrade, drivability, and some form of reliability as my transmission was "the weakest link", my instructions were to keep it under 600hp at the motor, or, taking a 20% drivetrain/fudge factor loss into account, 480hpatw, or, around 360kwatw, even then torque from idle is huge

He used the 85mm pulley and did a conservative tune

The car is a weapon, and currently traction is the weakest link

I'm hoping my 4l60e doesn't drop its showbags, getting a T400 to suit is blindingly expensive, albeit a bullet proof solution

I believe there wouldn't be much change from $15k for the old drive in drive out senario of getting a T400 built and installed

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
My mechanic only did 2 pulls on the dyno and gave me a 'very safe tune'
Tuned up some drivability in her...gave me the keys and said put 1000km's on it and bring it back for its service and proper tune.
When I asked about power, was just told it was pulling around 550hp atw's and the final tune he'll give me the numbers properly and a dyno sheet.
After I drove it for that hour and saw him again I sort of suggested that I'm happy around 550 and with the torque and a larger number isn't really needed at this stage lol
The mechanic has underdriven this car so not too sure on pulleys etc. I asked for around 9 pounds so I assume at this stage its around that
I have cheap tyres on the car atm. The problem with having 20's on it is you can choose 150 dollar tyres or 500 dollar tyres. There doesn't seem to be an intermediate tyre...2000 dollars for rubber...sheesh thats alot.
10-12k was the estimate I was given today for a t400
With supercharging whine....yeah I get where your at with making it sound awesome. I've tried to keep this car as stealth as possible..the thought of trying to get a sticker off this is unappealing :p and its my daily.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The problem with having 20's on it is you can choose 150 dollar tyres or 500 dollar tyres. There doesn't seem to be an intermediate tyre

Check out the Pirelli Dragonsports.

I had to replace one of mine a few weeks ago.....$289 for 245/35/20.