Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ss commodore smoking

Vx ss smoking

• Engine help

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vx ss

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hutchenquelchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss commodore 5.7
Hey i have a 2002 vx ss commodore with low kms and having trouble with the car smoking from exhaust badly. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt..but when you smell fuel real bad in the cab you know the smokes comming.have had 5 different mechanics look at it and none have been much help they have done this and that blah blah with no results.it starts to run rough when the smoke starts and the car sounds different .it doesnt use oil or coolant and oil isnt milky .has cam,otr,after market rails,stainless exhaust , extractors , tuned if of any help. I think it has to be something stupid and simple but no one seems to know the problem.has anyone had any thing similar happen with a ss ? Want to get to the bottom of this once and for all.

Any help highly appreciated

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
What colour smoke ???
Blue smoke=oil
Black smoke=fuel ...My money is on this one considering you smell fuel
White smoke=coolant

Sounds like it is fueling up.
Has anyone scanned it for codes.
I'm thinking o2 sensors but they should scan up.

Last edited:

Hutchenquelchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss commodore 5.7
It seems to be white..could have a black tinge tho hard to tell really..yeah had it check for codes isnt throwing any up..had injectors cleaned and tested were all working fine..cant work out why it stinks of fuel bad but cant see anywhere if its leaking doesnt seem to use much fuel then normal ..and coolant and oil are fine so surely cant be cracked head ..doing my head in

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Funny thing about O2 sensors is, that they wont always set a trouble code.
Any malfunction in these, will upset the fuel ratio.
I just changed mine a few days ago because I had idle trouble, Especially on start up, flat spots and popping through the intake.
It made an amazing difference.
Not saying it's your problem, but it does sound like a fuel problem.
Any of the other sensors, like the tps, maf or the iat, will set a code if there's a problem.
But, as I said before, the O2 sensors wont always set a DTC.