Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ss diff swap

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Hey guys this is the first time I've done a diff swap in a Vx. I have a 2001 Vx ss auto, I just found myself a 2002 manual Vx ss series 2. .

I want to put the manual diff in it. Other than the diff it's self do I need anything else. Or is it a straight swap..

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Are they different ratios?
Going to need some computer mods done to rectify the speedo.
If not it's a waste of time swapping a tomatoe for a tomato.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Auto is 3.08 LSD and Manual is 3.46 LSD ratios.

It will just bolt in, but it will mess with your speedo and you'll have to get it fixed by someone with a tech2 or learn to deal with it.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Apart from the speedo you'd need to fix some of the auto functions in the pcm as well.
All good changing the cluster but if the shift changes are up the duff what's the point.

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Thankfully I've got a good friend with a dyno and is a genius with his pc pretty much told me I'll be about 15 KS out but it will feel soo much more torquer through first second

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
They also say that the Vx ss series 2 rectified the whole camber wear issue. Wouldn't it be better if I just took the whole ass end of the car. Also some people were saying I'm gonna need the axles they might be different but I doubt there's too many complications should be a straight diff swap on these things with a quick pc plug in. She's already had a MAF tune so I think she goes well sounds great and 400 dollars for the diff felt like a good bargain for a quick mod to make the car wind up to the 100km mark quicker

They say less talk more action, I say more torque less traction

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
They say less talk more action, I say more torque less traction

lol, havnt heard that one before, i like it. It will be a straight swap, axles should be the same. The series 2 rear end with toe rods didnt completely fix camber/toe wear, altho it is a noticeable improvement. Might aswel swap the whole lot over. And i would fit some adjustable camber bushes to the new setup while its out, before it goes in. It will make ur life so much easier, rather than trying to fit them later while everything is in place. Then just get it recalibrated to suit the ratio difference

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Yep , I have zero camber wear on my series 2 VXSS so do the swap..
Don't know how much faster going to 3.46 gears will be but 3.73 really does change the cars performance noticeably..

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Loll yeah it's a good one. I've done everything I could think of as a bolt on mod.. The one other thing I can think of at this point in time is a shift kit. But they say it really isn't that much different coz it's a electronic box I mean that shift through his tune really can't justify why I would need one, the car shifts real hard already

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Yep , I have zero camber wear on my series 2 VXSS so do the swap..

Don't know how much faster going to 3.46 gears will be but 3.73 really does change the cars performance noticeably..

$400 for a quick change in a car is still worth it. 3.73 was harder to find and I figured this is my daily driver to n from work. And I throw the keys to any family member I still wanna feel this thing pull better. Cam will be definitely be on the plate later on a cam package with a 3000rpm stally will make that 3.73 horrible to have.

Any thoughts on these combinations?