Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS electrical issue

Westie1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey everyone,

This is my first time asking for help.

I have a VX SS with an electrical issue.

I have a VX Calais dash loom in it but all other wiring is original SS.

For some reason I’ve suddenly got no power getting to certain parts of the car.

None of my power windows work.

No interior illumination aside from the cluster but when I turn my park lights and headlights on the illumination in the digital speedo goes out but comes back on if I turn lights off.

I have power to my side mirrors they work.

I used a test light and when connected to negative all internal fuses are getting positive power. When I connect to positive I get nothing from any fuse.

When I do this on the engine bay fuses it doesn’t matter if I’m connected to positive or negative both light up when I touch fuses.

And there’s a relay that’s really hot.

I’ve tried everything I can to work it out...

Someone please help me!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Looks like you better off getting it hooked up to a tech tool, something must be shorting out.

Westie1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like you better off getting it hooked up to a tech tool, something must be shorting out.

I tried to hook her up but
would you believe me if I told you there’s no power going thru that either??
I think I might have to get someone to look at her.
I’ve done everything myself on this car so far but this has got me stumped.
Thanks for your help

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
when u say u can test the fuses with test light lead on power or earth and the fuse contacts light it up dosnt make sense ? is it on oposite sides of the fuse or same side ? as u cant have power and earth to a fuse unless its blown and one side is earth (short causing issue) and other still has power ? also disconnect the hot relay see if it fixes anything

Westie1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
when u say u can test the fuses with test light lead on power or earth and the fuse contacts light it up dosnt make sense ? is it on oposite sides of the fuse or same side ? as u cant have power and earth to a fuse unless its blown and one side is earth (short causing issue) and other still has power ? also disconnect the hot relay see if it fixes anything

if I connect the test light to earth and touch one side of the fuses on the internal fuse box the positive light lights up if I touch the other side nothing lights up. If I connect the test light to power and touch the fuses nothing happens no matter what side I touch.
On the engine bay fuse box if I connect the test light to power and touch the fuses both sides light up positive.
I pulled the relay it made no difference.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
were any fuses blown ? if the windows arnt working does the fuse still have power thru it ?

Westie1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
were any fuses blown ? if the windows arnt working does the fuse still have power thru it ?
Yeah the fuse is getting power but not the plug for the main switches.
The drivers side mirror works but there’s no power to the window reg or the door lock or speaker.