Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Gearbox Shudder

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows - my t56 has started to shudder at low speeds, ie idling around carparks etc when I depress the clutch and disengage gears, or rolling around in neutral. It's a pretty bad shudder.

It still drives perfect, finds gears fine etc.

Done 140,000kms

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Hmmmmm... Under NO and/or Low load shudder is probably not you box but a mount(s), Tailshaft, Diff or rear CV related.

I hate these kind of problems so good luck.

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
Does it only do it when turning?

No, it will do it regardless of steering position I believe.

I read somewhere it could possibly be a loose gearbox mount bolt? Would it be worth getting under and checking that out?

Cheers.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
check the center bearing and tailshaft donuts first before anything else.

I chewed out another gearbox to tailshaft donut a few weeks ago, it would cause a vibration sorta minor thumping at low speeds and once speeds were up higher it was fine.

I'd be checking they aren't split or cracking, put hte car into netural and drop the handbrake so you can spin the tailshaft and look at it from both sides, use a torch, there should be no cracks or anything, even minor ones are a problem.

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS

I chewed out another gearbox to tailshaft donut a few weeks ago, it would cause a vibration sorta minor thumping at low speeds and once speeds were up higher it was fine.

I'd be checking they aren't split or cracking, put hte car into netural and drop the handbrake so you can spin the tailshaft and look at it from both sides, use a torch, there should be no cracks or anything, even minor ones are a problem.

Cheers mate, will give that a go and get post back results.

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS

Had a look to find that the donuts and centre bearing are fine, any other ideas? I can spin the tailshaft backwards and forwards to make the clunk sound.

Cheers.

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
Had a look to find that the donuts and centre bearing are fine, any other ideas? I can spin the tailshaft backwards and forwards to make the clunk sound.

Cheers.

So turns out someone had just put **** oil in the diff, I changed it out with the GM recommended castrol stuff with the additive in it and problem is gone.

The stuff I pulled out was blue.