Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS how much bigger rims can i go ( I KNOW I KNOW )

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I know this has been asked a BILLION times but i used the links to the rules for NSW at it only made me more confused :bang: :bang: :bang:

I wanna know what size rims i can go too i have 17s on it now and i am thinking of 18s but the RTA says if the i change to something different to what is on the placard ill will have to get it engineered :bang: :bang:

Also they said if i change my exhaust from anything standard i will have to get it engineered as i am gonna get a lukey 3 inch from a good place up here but run no resinator in the back just have the straight through pipe i dont think the engineer will like that :whistling :whistling :whistling :whistling

So if anyone who can help from a NSW point of view cause ever state is different

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
You can legally go to 19's on an SS, as far as i know, exhausts can be changed without engineering. Providing you do not exexceed noise limits or change emissions etc, everything will be fine

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
It is 2 inches larger than what is indicated on your ORIGINAL TYRE PLACARD...So 2" bigger than YOUR car, not the clubsport model or whatever you want it to be.

Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) are not permitted to increase or decrease the diameter of the wheel by more than 50 mm than the largest or smallest wheel listed on the tyre placard.

Note that this is only for vehicles made up to January 1st 2005 (when ADR 24 was made redundant... now covered by ADR 23 passenger car tyres and ADR 42 general safety requirements).

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
So going buy that you should be 100% fine with your 18" rims, But if your are going chromies get 19"s and lower it. Trust me it looks heaps good

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
That post looks strangely familiar.... :p

He is in NSW soooooo he can have whatever sized rims he likes. As stated in my post which was copy pasted into this thread above 2 posts ^^^ ADR 24 is no longer used since January 1st 2005 and so NSW have since canned the 2" rule, whilst some other states such as SA have yet to update their guidelines.

So go for glory. Just stay within 15mm of the overall tyre diameter on your tyre placard (bigger rims... smaller tyres..) and make sure the rims and tyres are suitable (correct load rating, offset etc.)

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Talk bout grave dig :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: