Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS insect/locust screen...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Holden used to have an insect screen as an accessory that fitted into the large opening above the spoiler on the VX SS, I have just come back from a trip to Northern Victoria and with the locust plague that is around at the moment I copped heaps of the little buggers jamed into the air cond unit that sits in front of the radiator, spent around 2 hours picking the buggers out. I am going to try Holden but have a feeling they will no longer be available, has any one seen them for sale at places like Autobarn/Supercheap etc. The Locust are solid little buggers as they have bent a lot of the little curly bits that go between the tubes on the air cond unit, I realise they are only there to let the air circulate through the A/C unit but they have squashed a lot of them. I have to travel through that area again in a few weeks and don't want a repeat performance. I did try some fibreglass flyscreen wire taped over the opening but it fell off along the highway.

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Hey Mate,
I work for a Autobarn store in sth east melb and from what we've been told our supplier is completely out of stock and cannot keep up with demand. Holden would be the go and if not supercheap/repco etc. I will see if there are any around locally in the morning if you would like though. Will send through a PM if so.

Cheers,
Shaune

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Hey Mate,
I work for a Autobarn store in sth east melb and from what we've been told our supplier is completely out of stock and cannot keep up with demand. Holden would be the go and if not supercheap/repco etc. I will see if there are any around locally in the morning if you would like though. Will send through a PM if so.

Cheers,
Shaune

Thanks Shaune that would be good, I think the SS has a different shaped opening to other models?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If you are handy with tools, you can make it with expanded aluminium mesh. They wont go through that although you will be digging them out of it. I have seen a few on this and other forums and they look good as well as prevent insect invasion of the air-con core. You can make and pop rivet it to your bumper bar or as a removable item for easier cleaning. Remember not to use really small mesh as it will not allow enough air flow.