Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS LS1 unknown ticking noise

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
if all else fails mate, just goto holden ask to speak wit hthe head mechanic and ask him is that sound normal and or WTF it is lol, Another torque converter would set you back around $400 to a high performance 1 for around $1500

M

MattyC

if all else fails mate, just goto holden ask to speak wit hthe head mechanic and ask him is that sound normal and or WTF it is lol, Another torque converter would set you back around $400 to a high performance 1 for around $1500

Yeah I may have to talk to someone at holden,

Just took it for a drive then, it's about 33 degrees outside and from stop start at the lights took off fast until just after 2nd gear and the engine light came on for about 20 seconds after that, maybe there's a fault code for what may seem to be wrong?

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
A Engine light is never good but at least it will show what problems the ECU has picked up , im sure off memory the LS! ecu can only be checked through holden using tech1 or tech2

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
im sure off memory the LS! ecu can only be checked through holden using tech1 or tech2
Not ture i have a maxidiag us703 scan tool it can read an delete codes.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
that's exhaust noise probably a cracked manifold that heats up and seals when you give it some revs

google it common it's a common problem

M

MattyC

that's exhaust noise probably a cracked manifold that heats up and seals when you give it some revs

google it common it's a common problem

So it would solve the problem when i put a new full exhaust on? cause thats what i was going to do but held up the order cause this showed up. Im going to try get to a holden shop tomorrow morning to get this fault code read

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Yeah they will charge you like 50 bucks just to read the code its a scam haha

Grantvt350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Gen3 5.7 1999
Hi guys, I own a VT LS1 5.7 S2 1999, 270000k, and now I've finally got the ticking noise out of it, I got new hydronic lifter and new headers with high flow cats, well that made it worse, even Mark at Streamline Warner's Bay who I would recommend to anybody was just about out of idea's anyway knowing everything was new up the of the motor, I knew it had to be something simple and after pulling my hair out with frustration I went and got Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and Nulon Premium Mineral 20w-50, that was 3 weeks ago and it hasn't made a noise since and running how it should. Good luck.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Hi guys, I own a VT LS1 5.7 S2 1999, 270000k, and now I've finally got the ticking noise out of it, I got new hydronic lifter and new headers with high flow cats, well that made it worse, even Mark at Streamline Warner's Bay who I would recommend to anybody was just about out of idea's anyway knowing everything was new up the of the motor, I knew it had to be something simple and after pulling my hair out with frustration I went and got Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and Nulon Premium Mineral 20w-50, that was 3 weeks ago and it hasn't made a noise since and running how it should. Good luck.

I don't care how premium it is, I use full synth not mineral oil - bit of ticking never killed anyone.