Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS LS1 unknown ticking noise

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Sound's kilo oils to thin same thing happened to mine use thick oil mate

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Sounds like a sticky lifter to me. Bit hard to hear from the video - does the tick go away after a few revs, then come back slowly once it settles at idle?
Mine has a sticky lifter. I'm just ignoring it. I'm lead to believe lifter replacement is a heads-off job on an LS1, and the new lifters will probably do the same thing after a while anyway.

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
i duno about you guys, but that fluid looks like ATF, maybe the torque convertor is buggered ? take the inspection plates off and try have a peek inside with a small mirror / light, if u got a thermometer check the exhaust temp coming out of the troubled cylinder if you think its a lifter, it will be alot cooler than the others, but if u ask me, thats alot more ATF than usual...... im thinking its convertor / trans pump related

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Yeah it looks like it to me as well i wish my car was that clean under there lol mine leaks a bit of clutch fluid how many kms it done mate

M

MattyC

Sounds like a sticky lifter to me. Bit hard to hear from the video - does the tick go away after a few revs, then come back slowly once it settles at idle?
Mine has a sticky lifter. I'm just ignoring it. I'm lead to believe lifter replacement is a heads-off job on an LS1, and the new lifters will probably do the same thing after a while anyway.

Yeah if i rev it it goes away and if i hold the revs at around 1000 you can hear fast ticking and then you cant hear anything at idle.
While im driving when I accelerate i can hear ticking too...

i duno about you guys, but that fluid looks like ATF, maybe the torque convertor is buggered ? take the inspection plates off and try have a peek inside with a small mirror / light, if u got a thermometer check the exhaust temp coming out of the troubled cylinder if you think its a lifter, it will be alot cooler than the others, but if u ask me, thats alot more ATF than usual...... im thinking its convertor / trans pump related

Yeah fluid is red so would be ATF, are the inspection plates the circle little metal plates that look loose, what would I be looking for inside?

Yeah it looks like it to me as well i wish my car was that clean under there lol mine leaks a bit of clutch fluid how many kms it done mate

It's done 159K's, i wiped the bottom of the car with a dry piece of cloth before the video and then after the video I took the photo of the bit of ATF that leaked out

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
That ticking sound at the start of the clip is the same sound i have in my vt ss, ive just assumed it was the standed headder pipes rattleing around not 100% sure as of yet since i still gotta slap some pacemakers on it soon. as for the leak sounds like A) power steering fluid B) auto tranny fluid .
How long have u had the leak for? if its been awhile id say wait till car is cold then check auto dip stick and check power steering fluid ,

M

MattyC

That ticking sound at the start of the clip is the same sound i have in my vt ss, ive just assumed it was the standed headder pipes rattleing around not 100% sure as of yet since i still gotta slap some pacemakers on it soon. as for the leak sounds like A) power steering fluid B) auto tranny fluid .
How long have u had the leak for? if its been awhile id say wait till car is cold then check auto dip stick and check power steering fluid ,

Yeah when a mechanic looked at it he said he didnt have much time but he tightened the exhaust and some other stuff but it didn't do anything.. sounds to me like its coming from the torque converter around that area...
I was hoping I could get it fixed or make sure it's ok because I want to order a full exhaust and Cam it in the next few months so I want to make sure everythings alright....
I'm thinking it's the torque converter I dont have alot of mechanical experiance but I learn quickly, watching a bunch of youtube vids It looks like liquid coming from the torque converter, one of my mate's who works at holden is going to have a look at it on monday so I'll see what he says..

Oh I've only had the car for a week and a half now didn't realise it was doing this when I bought it but yeah...

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
sorry ment i thought that sound was coming from the air flowing through the standed headders,
But like i said my car makes the same kocking sound from under the car dbout its the torque converter since mines a 6spd manual lol

M

MattyC

sorry ment i thought that sound was coming from the air flowing through the standed headders,
But like i said my car makes the same kocking sound from under the car dbout its the torque converter since mines a 6spd manual lol

Oh yours is manual haha I see, hmm... well i hope thats a good thing then because I pressume torque converters are a bit pricey.. hopefully it's not something big otherwise I won't have enough $$ to cam and exhaust it