Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Manual T56 - Tight Shifter

300kwv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67
Hi Guys,

Picked up an VX SS II 5.7 6 Speed manual.

The shifter seems very tight and nothcy. All gears work 100% just tight to move between them all. The old owner did a few mods to the car, so maybe one was a shifter mod?

Can I grease it up? or check it in any way?

What's the easiest way to get the console and gear shifter boot off for inspection.

Thanks

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
i drive a getreg 5 speed and then jumped into a clubby and also a vz sv6 with the t56 and it felt as you described.. so i'd say its normal

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
yeh mine is the same, i feel like u gotta put force to move from gear to gear! is there a way to loosen it up?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i drive a getreg 5 speed and then jumped into a clubby and also a vz sv6 with the t56 and it felt as you described.. so i'd say its normal

the vz sv6 has a different box to the v8s, its made by aisin or something like that,

in my ss the box is pretty notchy, sometimes hard to select reverse

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
you can put nicer oil in it

in mine i often get 3rd instead of 1st

or 5th instead of reverse

but overall it's not a completely terrible gearbox

it just has to be that way due to the power handling, smaller weaker gearboxes for lower powered engines feel better

bencbh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 ute 08 manual
I have the same problem on my vt, real prick when's it's cold, Iv been told it's play in the shifter linkages,malwood has reco shifter assemblys for $225 I'm gonna get one I'll let you know how it goes

300kwv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67
As suggested it may just need a oil change with some good quality oil, and maybe thats just the way it is, plus its done high km's.

I never ever miss the 2-3 shift thats why I thought it had something done to it. You push it straight up (dont even have to go across) and its into 3rd.

I will investigate further.

Thanks for the advice :)

Jono Rice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 M6
Hey guys i tried searching for this but how do you remove the factory shifter? i need too replace the shifter as the shift pattern came off mine before i owned the car and now i need a road worthy. would i be able to get one from holden at all? The car is a vx ss 6 speed. cheers.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
As suggested it may just need a oil change with some good quality oil, and maybe thats just the way it is, plus its done high km's.

I never ever miss the 2-3 shift thats why I thought it had something done to it. You push it straight up (dont even have to go across) and its into 3rd.

I will investigate further.

Thanks for the advice :)
Sounds like you have a RIPSHIFT.

otter2183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hi Everyone,

I had the same problem with my gear box. If you just have a stiff shifter, chances are the bushings and linkages are dry ie free from grease. My mechanic (Gilberts Maitland - Gilbert's Motor Garage. - 49331185 ) fixed the issue for $200.

It probably is a job the home tinkerer can do. I think there is a link somewhere on the forum to tell you how to remove the center console. This will give you access to the shifter bushes. Then it just needs a clean out and grease. Mine went from requiring significant effort to move the shifter to incredibly easy to move with almost no resistance.