Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Manual vs Auto Fuel Economy

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
G'day,

I've been doing a bit of reading and i'm getting the impression that the auto variant of the VX SS gets better fuel efficiency than the manual? Aside from the fact that people with manuals may drive harder, is there a logical explanation for this? I figured the 2 extra gears would improve fuel usage...

Cheers.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
I'm with you on this one.I drive an auto (v6) and would probably never return to a manual but I cannot imagine that under normal driving conditions an auto could be more economical than a manual with 2 extra gears.Still,I'd prefer a good auto to a good manual cos they are so easy to maintain and keep in really good condition.All I can think of is that during an "economy" test,with the bucket loads of torque that the V8 has,they can achieve pretty good results without the engine revving much more than a fast idle.

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
I drive a vx SS 6 speed and get great economy. I have mates that have drive an auto 5.7 that have poorer economy. I'm told when cruising at highway speeds their engines operate at higher revs compared to a manual. I have only a couple of mods, but get around 8.5 kitted per 100 kms.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
That's pretty well unanimous.Your getting awesome economy Tones,I only average a little better than that (a neat ten on average from a stock V6) but I reckon Grennan hit it on the nose "It all depends on how you drive"

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
According to my VT-VX repair manual the VX Gen3 6 speed manual gets, City: 13.0 / Highway: 7.4 whereas the the auto gets City: 13.0 / Highway 8.

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
@ som
Like a grandma!! Ha ha

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
As a guide, I often do a Melb/Shepparton/Melb run in my VX SS auto, mostly highway but with a bit of suburban running getting to and from the Hume Highway and a bit of running around in Shepparton, it gets around 10L/100km or a bit under at 110 kph, which is about 2000 rpm or a tad under on that trip, it is probably running under 10L/100km on the highway. Around town it gets approx mid teens 14 to 15, but get caught in heavy traffic and it can easily get into the high teens. Those figures are from filling up driving till tank is low and measuring what it takes to refill it. Car is completly stock.

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
One thing I've learned over time on these forums hearing different people's stories is that LS1 economy varies GREATLY on the individual car/person.

Logic suggests that around town economy can depend on how you drive (take off, when you shift, slowing down etc etc) but on the highway it's a no brainer if you think about what RPM the auto vs the manual sits on in top gear (2100ish? vs 1600).

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
also air temprature, cars mechanical condition, fuel you use, tyre pressure, people in the car etc, etc, etc....