Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ss over charging

Teeeeer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 300rwkw
Hey guys,
I have an issue with my vx over charging. When the car is on the battery will sit at 15.4 to 15.7 volts and when it's off it'll be at 12.6. This all started when I changed the battery out of the car I received the alternator fault. I've tried different batteries, replaced the alternator and regulator. This fault doesn't allow my battery to properly charge and requires to be charged every 2-3 months. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
King regards.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I remember some guy telling me that I could not put a, type of NEW battery in my car because some batteries require a higher voltage (like that) to charge.
I think the silver calcium chloride batteries.

He said, If you have an older car you have to mod your alternator.

posted 2013-Mar-30, 8:56 am AEST

I have heard that calcium batteries require 15.1V to charge, where as normal alternators are regulated to 14.1V. So you probably need a modified alternator to properly charge a calcium battery. But it will then be unsuitable for a normal lead-acid battery.

Last edited:

Teeeeer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 300rwkw
I've tried 2 different alternators and batteries. That's the issue :l

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
New reg or used??

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I remember some guy telling me that I could not put a, type of NEW battery in my car because some batteries require a higher voltage (like that) to charge.
I think the silver calcium chloride batteries.

He said, If you have an older car you have to mod your alternator.

posted 2013-Mar-30, 8:56 am AEST

I have heard that calcium batteries require 15.1V to charge, where as normal alternators are regulated to 14.1V. So you probably need a modified alternator to properly charge a calcium battery. But it will then be unsuitable for a normal lead-acid battery.

I find this interesting....I have a new calcium battery in my VC Commodore....I also have an standard second hand EL Falcon alternator to run the car.....From memory, when I fitted the alternator up, it was charging at 14.3 or 14.5 Volts....Never had a flat battery, even after the car sat for a week

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you are running a regular lead acid (not calcium) battery and it is charging at 15.4v you are probably boiling your battery and the water levels could be getting low.

Teeeeer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 300rwkw
If you are running a regular lead acid (not calcium) battery and it is charging at 15.4v you are probably boiling your battery and the water levels could be getting low.
That's why I'm driving the daily wagon :') I didn't want to drive the car for that reason

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Go to a place eg. battery world, that sells car batteries. They will test the voltage and put a calcium battery in.

Teeeeer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 300rwkw
Go to a place eg. battery world, that sells car batteries. They will test the voltage and put a calcium battery in.
Hey, I've solved the issue! There was a short in the towbar harness........