Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS Project Car Modification Recommendations - Help

dratta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series II LS1
Hi All,
Im sure this comes up a lot so i apologise for the repeat.

I have a VX SS, it is my first V8 and I have decided to make it my project car. I need some guidance and recommendations with regards to the modifications. I have a mild working knowledge of mechanics and "sort of" capable doing work myself. Alos both my cousins are mechanics but i dont want to pester them to much.

Car background.
The car is a VX SS series II, I am the second owner and it has done 191,000 kms. The overall car condition is good, paint is very good, next to no rust except a small amount on a door hinge. The front bumper has some paint cracking however a re-spray or replacement body kit can fix this. The interior is all stock SS, the front seat head rests have been cut and have LCD screens embedded. The dash facia needs to be replaced as it has been cracked when the previous owner replaced the dash cluster cover. The gearbox fascia has been drilled to bolt an old school phone mount and some of the AC vents have been broken. So general minor aesthetic replacements are required. Whilst the dash is out i might change the cluster whilst im at it :) The car will not be an everyday car, I dont want to spend a fortune, my budget is between 15k for motor, gearbox and diff modifications. If any of your suggestions go slightly over please still mention them.

I would like nice cam that will give a really nice lumpy sound. I am particularly focused on this as the sound is what i love about V8s the most. I will consider a stroker kit and possibly a super charger however this will depend on the budget and additional work involved. E.g. heads, rings, boring etc. I imagine with all this additional power i will need to upgrade the breaks as well. Additionally, do you guys think its worth modifying the body e.g. GTS body kit? or would it be better keeping it stock (SS body kit). This is probably something of a personal preference.

Since the motor has high kms I imagine with all the mods half the motor rebuild would be completed. Based on your modifications and recommendations please mention any other outstanding motor rebuild items that may need to be done. please include brands, model numbers, prices and purchase locations if possible.

All your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

James_aitchison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II S Pac 3.6L V6
This is what I'm doing with my VX S-Pack.
Since im only on my P's, I'm updating to a VY interior and going see if I can upgrade to climate control and all the such and work my way through the car for a full boot install.
Once on my blacks, Im dropping a V8 or maybe a 2jz or something different from the norm.
Anyways the Interior could just be changed out easily from wreckers or even off eBay, for the parts in need.
Body kit personal preference
Big Brake kits can be brought too.
Also how many is High KMs?

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Hi All,
Im sure this comes up a lot so i apologise for the repeat.

I have a VX SS, it is my first V8 and I have decided to make it my project car. I need some guidance and recommendations with regards to the modifications. I have a mild working knowledge of mechanics and "sort of" capable doing work myself. Alos both my cousins are mechanics but i dont want to pester them to much.

Car background.
The car is a VX SS series II, I am the second owner and it has done 191,000 kms. The overall car condition is good, paint is very good, next to no rust except a small amount on a door hinge. The front bumper has some paint cracking however a re-spray or replacement body kit can fix this. The interior is all stock SS, the front seat head rests have been cut and have LCD screens embedded. The dash facia needs to be replaced as it has been cracked when the previous owner replaced the dash cluster cover. The gearbox fascia has been drilled to bolt an old school phone mount and some of the AC vents have been broken. So general minor aesthetic replacements are required. Whilst the dash is out i might change the cluster whilst im at it :) The car will not be an everyday car, I dont want to spend a fortune, my budget is between 15k for motor, gearbox and diff modifications. If any of your suggestions go slightly over please still mention them.

I would like nice cam that will give a really nice lumpy sound. I am particularly focused on this as the sound is what i love about V8s the most. I will consider a stroker kit and possibly a super charger however this will depend on the budget and additional work involved. E.g. heads, rings, boring etc. I imagine with all this additional power i will need to upgrade the breaks as well. Additionally, do you guys think its worth modifying the body e.g. GTS body kit? or would it be better keeping it stock (SS body kit). This is probably something of a personal preference.

Since the motor has high kms I imagine with all the mods half the motor rebuild would be completed. Based on your modifications and recommendations please mention any other outstanding motor rebuild items that may need to be done. please include brands, model numbers, prices and purchase locations if possible.

All your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
M8 try and join the australian ls1 forum. Alot of those guys have or had vxss commos and know exactly
What , why and who to recommend for your upgrades. 15K should be plenty for getting all the
Gear u need. Good luck with it.