Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx ss rough engine and failed starts

SSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
My first problem is sometimes when I start the car maybe it happens once every couple weeks, its like it doesnt get synced when starting, as it will turn over and sound like its gonna start but just stalls. It will do this a couple times then just start as per normal and wont be an issue till another couple weeks... got me stumped as to what it is.

Second is that the engine seems to idle smooth, but its almost like it misses and gets a lil shaking about it. and its more noticable when it is cold but once it has warmed up its not to bad. really only noticeable in gear as well.

I have checked the error codes and nothing has come up as to there being an issue.

has anyone fitted the bosch platinum/iridium spark plugs and noticed an increase in fuel consumption... I thought they were supposed to be more economical.

So its a '01 vx ss auto, run exclusively on bp ultimate. spark leads recently changed, new air filter, regular 10000km oil changes 170000km on the clock.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
bit far out but the first symptom might be a dirty neg/pos lead check em, as for the shaking it is a thing I have found with my VR SS my VX clubby and VX SS they all do it its like its idling too low but as long as its at or just slightly above the 500 rpm mark (the small notch between 0-1000) then its where it should be, i stressed a little about it for a while geez when I had people in the car id ask them if they feel/hear it there like.. i don`t feel it (very slight shudder) and don`t hear the low sounding idle.