Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Ss Series 2 Alarm Problems

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
I am curious about the alarm system on my vx ss series 2. I want to check if it is working properly. I have read the manual that come with the car, and it says press the lock button on the key, then using the key only unlock the drivers door and alarm should sound. It doesn't. Has anyone else had any problems? I know it is controlled by the body control module, how can I check this? The car has low kms, 60,000. I have owned it since new, and have never heard it go off, which is good, cause no one has tried a break in. Any comments will be extremely appreciated. I am figuring that it might need to be a holden, tech 2 check up thing, but being that I am a mechanic myself, am reluctant to pay someone else to fix my pride and joy.Thanx in advance

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
the alarm on the vx isnt an actual alarm it doesnt make a sound to say its locking or unlocking i thought it had an actual alarm since on the sheet it says it had one but went to dealership to find out and they said its just something basic, i would explain how it works but i cant remember how it actually works, but your better off buying an actual alarm system for it, much better protection, aftermaker of course holden ones are **** and too expensive

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
I have been to a few holden sites and they explain it as an update for series 2 was an alarm. They also state that it makes noise when activating. It has a horn near the left strut tower, does anyone have a part number for a genuine alarm for a vx ss series 2?

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
i have a vx series 2 berlina and it doesnt actually make a sound it works but it only makes a sound when something isnt right. i was actually shown at a dealership where i bought my vx but i aint to worried since im going to buy an aftermarket one

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
Thanx 4 ur replies bennzy. can u explain how they got it to work at the dealership, cause as i explained in original thread, i have read the service manual and it explains a method to check operation, but cant seem to get any noise going on, i have even put a multimeter inline and a dont get any voltage going to the horn on the LH strut tower, why is it there if no noise comes from it? Can u recommend a good alarm that plugs into the oringinal loom(with no cutting/modifications) on a vx series 2? The main problem being that the series 2 cuts power after one hour to the interior light, to save flat battery, as most alarm systems use interior light as an active switch, this will cause phantom alarms? I want to go genuine for this reason, and cause i only want to use the genuine key. I have had to fix multiple problems over the years with crap alarms/ installs also, with both cheap and expensive alarms.

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
what most people usually do is go the upgraded alarm system which what it actually does it learn what the car actually does when locking and unlocking and all, found this out with the old alarm system i had with my old car.

i will see what i can do with finding out how it actually works, i wouldnt go genuine, because they are way over priced for the features you get with it and in fact when you buy a new car they are generally not genuine ones anyway, they put aftermarket ones in because they are better.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
thanx 4 your help bennzy, i will chase up an after market and fit it myself