Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS T56 Swap. How hard is it and what do I need?

Richard O'Donoghue

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S2 5.7 Auto
Hi everyone,

I'm considering swapping a T56 into my beloved LS1 VX Commodore. The old 4L60e is getting a bit lumpy and I've thought it would liven the car up a bit doing a conversion. What parts do I need, what things do I need to be aware of and is there and fabrication work required? (I've manual converted a JZA80 supra before which is why I'm asking).

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Probably easiest to find a wrecked manual ss and strip all of the manual parts from it

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
manual engine harness, gearbox, gearbox mount, crossmember, shifter, shifter plate ( for floor ), shifter boot, shifter handle, clutch, flywheel, sprigot bearing, slave and master cylinders,hydraulic lines, pedalbox, computer flashed to manual tune

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just fit manual pedal box and trans. Need crank spigot too and have computer tuned.

Tbh I’ve driven both and wasn’t impressed with how clunky the t56 is. They’re fun to drive but straight line performance isn’t as good as an auto.