Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx starting issue

Tuffy vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl project vn daily
Ok, so the problem started the other day the battery died so I replaced it and all seemed well, until my missus took the car and I get a phone call that it died while she was driving? Like just stalled, so I go out try to start it and it fires up no problem but started to shudder and stalled after a few seconds, so I've checked for codes and it gave me 55 I think which is faulty ecu? But also code 12 all ok? Which seems strange to me, I've spoken to a mate and he told me an ecu won't just die like that so now I'm lost and the car won't start at all now, it goes to fire but won't so I'm thinking fuel pump? But the code 55 has me worried, the car has had a few issues occasionally with starting which I put down to crank angle sensor because during summer when the car got hot it wouldn't start but pouring cold water on the sensor got it going so I assumed the cas code would come up but no someone please help it's our only car and I can't afford to be throwing cash at it clutching at straws
Thanks
Brenden

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The problems will mosty likely be caused by the faulty ECU/PCM, as code 55 is a problem with the ECU/PCM. If the ECU/PCM is replaced with another unit, it will need to be relinked to ther BCM via a suitable scantool.(Tech2), otherwise the car wont start-(security feature).
First check all the main wiring and connections in the engine bay and both fuse and relay boxes, and also check the plugs for the ECU/PCM. Pull any relays, fuses or wiring plugs apart and plug them back again just to be sure theres a good clean tight connection. Also have a look for any backed out pins in the connectors.
Code 12 does not always mean that everythings ok.The ECU/PCM will also flash up code 12 to indicate that diagnostic mode is enabled , it will flash up code 12 before flashing up any logged error codes.. If no error codes are logged and the system is all ok, then you will get code 12 constantly flashing up, over and over.This is the only time code 12 means that everythings ok.

Tuffy vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl project vn daily
Checked fuses and couple of them weren't blown but had black crap on the pins? Could this be the problem?