Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx starting problem

EFFDUP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK ROYALE
i have just brought a vx v6, the problem is sometimes it wont start or turn over doesnt matter if its hot or cold, have tried a new battery, the alternator is charging its reading 14.4v when running, only drops to 10 volts minimum when cranking, could it be starter motor? its doing my head in

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Have you checked the electrical connections at the starter motor to see if there is good contact ?

EFFDUP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK ROYALE
i need to get under and check connections, the car has done 360,000kms just wondering if i should replace the starter while im under there

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Not necessarily kilometers means nothing for starter motor condition. Try tapping starter motor lightly with a hammer while someone else turns the key next time it won't start. If it magically starts then it's your starter motor.

dunky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina V6
If it's winding over and not firing, I suggest you check your remote. If the correct signals aren't being sent from your key, your car might still be disabled and will simply wind over and never start (I am talking from experience here). The battery in the key could be flat or the key itself may be worn so much as to give an intermittent signal. Fortunately I had a second key that had had little use and am using that one.....never had a problem since. Also make sure your car battery terminals are well cleaned and thoroughly clean inside the terminal connections. Tighten them firmly so there is no slop between the terminal and the connection. This as also a common problem. Also as above...check the starter connection. Hope this helps. Bob

EFFDUP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK ROYALE
its not winding over, doesnt crank at all like its seized, have brought a second hand starter anyway gona replace it and start from there, the terminals arnt the best but i really dont think just that could be the problem

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Try your other key? I had same hassle with my VY, was just the bit on the key that is read by the slip key reader around the ignition barrel.

EFFDUP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK ROYALE
dont have another key need to get one cut

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
If your key isn't recognized by the BCM the engine will turn over a few times and possibly even just start and then will cut out on you. If your car isn't turning over at all you have an electrical or starter motor fault. My money would be on starter but the test I described with a hammer is the best way to confirm.

EFFDUP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK ROYALE
replaced starter motor today all appears to be good so far