Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX starting wierd and remote not working

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore Ute S1 / VX Executive Sedan S2
Hello everyone (this is going to be a long one) - my son borrowed my vx yesterday and when he went to get into the car after he finished work - the remote wouldnt open the doors and the key will not open the drivers door either (no matter how hard he tried) so he managed to get the window down (eventually) and climb inside but then the car wouldnt start. I went to sort it out and found the same problem (i am a pretty big boy and i couldnt even budge the key to unlock it) also when i tried to start the car it only turns over for a couple of secs then stops. I turned the key a number of times to lights coming on but no start and then waited a couple of minutes and tried again and it started. So if anybody has any idea whats going on I would really appreciate the help. --- Cheers everyone

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It sounds like an immobiliser problem. Does the flashing light in the mode switch turn off when you try to start it? I'm guessing not.
The key should open the door but it will take a fair bit of force, turn it clockwise. The snib button won't pop up but the door will open with the handle.
You could try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes to reset the BCM (Body Control Modules). You will need the radio PIN when you reconnect the battery, assuming you have the stock radio.

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks accentstencil - I will give it a shot, but that door lock is really hard to turn. Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
They get hard to turn because they very rarely get used, maybe a bit of WD40 will loosen it up.

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
They get hard to turn because they very rarely get used, maybe a bit of WD40 will loosen it up.
Still can't get the door to unlock when I put the key in (it seems like it has seized up) but I have managed to unlock it by remote. Also my key remote has now broke with trying to do that (I'm too bloody heavy handed but I can still use it) any idea what a new key costs and best place to go as I'm in Brisbane.
Any suggestions? Cheers

V6formethx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Auto Sedan + VE Commodore SV6 Man Ute
Hello everyone (this is going to be a long one) - my son borrowed my vx yesterday and when he went to get into the car after he finished work - the remote wouldnt open the doors and the key will not open the drivers door either (no matter how hard he tried) so he managed to get the window down (eventually) and climb inside but then the car wouldnt start. I went to sort it out and found the same problem (i am a pretty big boy and i couldnt even budge the key to unlock it) also when i tried to start the car it only turns over for a couple of secs then stops. I turned the key a number of times to lights coming on but no start and then waited a couple of minutes and tried again and it started. So if anybody has any idea whats going on I would really appreciate the help. --- Cheers everyone

In case you haven't sorted your problem out yet, I will still offer my input. And if you have worked it out, still interested to know what it ended up being if you don't mind updating.

Definitely sounds immobilizer related. If you need a new key, I would get that first and then you can rule that out as a suspect. You can check to make sure none of the buttons are stuck down though in the mean time. If for example the lock key is stuck and being constantly pressed, it will reengage the immobilizer non-stop and all you will get is the motor turning a few times and then cutting off. It will also stop your key unlocking it, the door locks will not operate while a key is pressed on the remote, when this happened to my father he was in the car and couldn't even physically lift the lock from the inside, also the remote wouldn't unlock it and he rang me while held prisoner by his own car. Sure enough a button had failed to click back out on his remote last it was pressed, and a little fingernail prying down the side of the button and everything worked fine again. You could try removing the blade from the remote and try unlocking it while the remote is well and truly out of range of the car. Or try pressing the buttons while paying attention to see if they are clicking back out. First test is more effort but also more definitive.

Your local auto shop will be able to provide you with a blank key blade and remote setup, as well as a little dongle you can plug on under the dash to code the new key to work on your car.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...-3-button-kf204/370799.html?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...vz-kf200/370798.html#q=key+program&lang=en_AU

Don't bother paying to get the blank key blade cut, just unscrew your old one from the broken key and fit it to the new setup. Then you just plug the dongle in, turn to ignition and when the light on the dongle stops flashing, remove the key and then dongle and you're done. The coder is good for coding 3 keys with so its a good time to make any extras for other drivers or a spare if need because while the first one costs you about $140, the other 2 are about $60. Last time I actually bought the 2 extra blank remotes and put on gumtree $120 for a programmed key. Before long 2 people had messaged and stopped by and I just did the same process for them. My key ended up costing me about $20 after that from memory. That's a way cheaper option if you don't have a working key, but if you only want one key and can provide a currently working one to a locksmith, a freshly cut blade on a brand new programmed remote should only cost you about $100 from a locksmith kiosk at the shopping center and can be made while you do your shopping. But last check a fully equipped locksmith shop and about $400 was required if you had no working key to start with, then you will benefit the most from programming your own.

I'd be very surprised if that doesn't sort it out, but keep us updated. If you skip the first bit and go right for the new key, just make sure the old one is away from the car while doing the new key, as you won't know if its spamming signals, and it may make your new key appear not to work. Hopefully though, you just cleaned a bit of gunk out from the side of your button remote and are already off for a drive. Hope this helps you, or someone with similar issues.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
be aware you need one functioning remote to use the supercheap programmer
the immobilizer must be disabled to use it

V6formethx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Auto Sedan + VE Commodore SV6 Man Ute
be aware you need one functioning remote to use the supercheap programmer
the immobilizer must be disabled to use it

Mine isn't disabled and only need the blade so you can turn ignition, functioning remote was not needed. I did this not long ago on mine without touching my old remote to do it.

EDIT: I do understand they may have changed how they work, so I can't say for sure it's still the same, just that it was like that previously at least.

Last edited:

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
In case you haven't sorted your problem out yet, I will still offer my input. And if you have worked it out, still interested to know what it ended up being if you don't mind updating.

Definitely sounds immobilizer related. If you need a new key, I would get that first and then you can rule that out as a suspect. You can check to make sure none of the buttons are stuck down though in the mean time. If for example the lock key is stuck and being constantly pressed, it will reengage the immobilizer non-stop and all you will get is the motor turning a few times and then cutting off. It will also stop your key unlocking it, the door locks will not operate while a key is pressed on the remote, when this happened to my father he was in the car and couldn't even physically lift the lock from the inside, also the remote wouldn't unlock it and he rang me while held prisoner by his own car. Sure enough a button had failed to click back out on his remote last it was pressed, and a little fingernail prying down the side of the button and everything worked fine again. You could try removing the blade from the remote and try unlocking it while the remote is well and truly out of range of the car. Or try pressing the buttons while paying attention to see if they are clicking back out. First test is more effort but also more definitive.

Your local auto shop will be able to provide you with a blank key blade and remote setup, as well as a little dongle you can plug on under the dash to code the new key to work on your car.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...-3-button-kf204/370799.html?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/map-map-key-programming-tool---suits-holden-commodore-vs-vz-kf200/370798.html#q=key+program&lang=en_AU

Don't bother paying to get the blank key blade cut, just unscrew your old one from the broken key and fit it to the new setup. Then you just plug the dongle in, turn to ignition and when the light on the dongle stops flashing, remove the key and then dongle and you're done. The coder is good for coding 3 keys with so its a good time to make any extras for other drivers or a spare if need because while the first one costs you about $140, the other 2 are about $60. Last time I actually bought the 2 extra blank remotes and put on gumtree $120 for a programmed key. Before long 2 people had messaged and stopped by and I just did the same process for them. My key ended up costing me about $20 after that from memory. That's a way cheaper option if you don't have a working key, but if you only want one key and can provide a currently working one to a locksmith, a freshly cut blade on a brand new programmed remote should only cost you about $100 from a locksmith kiosk at the shopping center and can be made while you do your shopping. But last check a fully equipped locksmith shop and about $400 was required if you had no working key to start with, then you will benefit the most from programming your own.

I'd be very surprised if that doesn't sort it out, but keep us updated. If you skip the first bit and go right for the new key, just make sure the old one is away from the car while doing the new key, as you won't know if its spamming signals, and it may make your new key appear not to work. Hopefully though, you just cleaned a bit of gunk out from the side of your button remote and are already off for a drive. Hope this helps you, or someone with similar issues.

Thanks mate, got myself a new remote from Mr Minute and all seemed fine, then the other night my son couldn't open the car when he had to use it. He came out later after work and it was ok but he is now leaving the drivers door unlocked where ever he goes just in case. Could it be the immobiliser strips around the ignition?(I'm only guessing) He will bring me my car back to me on Friday before he heads to Melbourne and I will check it out properly then. Thanks for your advise mate, I really appreciate yours and everyones assistance, that's why I joined this site.
Thanks again
Mark