Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX steering wheel to VZ steering wheel Horn wiring.

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
Hi there,

I did this mod last weekend all went well except the wiring for the horn.. So I figured to leave it and figure out how to do it and come back. when I realized how easy it was I went to do it today but there is no "Clip" on the vz steering wheel for me to plug my other plug into.. So I figured I would get a ring and solder the wire to that and just find a screw and screw it on.... Problem solved right? .. But no...it didn't work... Can anyone help me?

Pic of golden clip i need.
3.jpg

How I have wired it.
null-3.jpg

How The ring looks.
null-5.jpg

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
I didn't have to touch any wires when I put a VY steering wheel in my VX, it was all plug and play. Not sure what the go is here.

You probably had the convertor connector or something... As I understand it you need to snib off the plug from your old VX horn pad and simply wire the positive wire to the plate on the VZ airbag and the earth to the steering wheel earth plate or w/e it is..

BTW Its really weird now i left it connected the way i had it without it working (god knows why) and i went to start it and coulnt turn the key (Steering wheel locked) so i finally fixed that but when the car started the interior light wouldn't go off? then I unplugged the wire that's connected to the ignition surround (where the light is) and it will start and turn off but the first attempt to start it it will start then go off, so i need to lock myself in the car then unlock it and then start it... wtf? lol

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
read this
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vy-steering-wheel-conversion-vt-vx.93928

this is what happens when you start messing with the electronics in cars they don't like it, "cos it was all good then something changed" and they don't understand it

do the steering wheel controls light up ?

I don't know if your having a stab at me or not... but I will take it as you're not.. I understand the car is still getting a ground from something and I'm fair sure disconnecting the horn wires I put in would fix that. and i have no steering wheel controls in the car ATM there coming this week sometime. As i understand it though they should because it is different wiring I need?

EDIT
Also that is the guide I followed to do the conversion.

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Sounds like your grounding something out... Check your wiring, and maybe call up Holden and see what they'll charge you for the horn clip

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
why would i have a stab at you?

i've just checked the wiring diagram and i can't see why the horn isn't working you've have it as it should be

check the fuse and or relay