Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Super Low Front Strut Recommendations

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
G'day, trying to solve my monster-truck ride height dilemma. VX S Pac on FE2 currently. Just threw on some Sick Magz (19 x 8.5).

I've decided to go with Super Low King Springs front and rear and some KYB rear shortened shocks. I'm having difficulty finding reasonably priced, reasonable quality front struts.

Recommendations?

Click for Pic

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Kings, don't do it. They are cheap and nasty. I've used Kings and never again.

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
Kings just seem to be readily available second hand and i can get some cheap. I wouldn't mind going with Lovells if i can get a good price. Dobinsons are hard to figure out (their website doesn't even have Holden Commodore specs). The Pedders website is a useless fricking mind fark. If anyone has a product number for super low Pedders springs or Dobinsons, I could look into those.

KYB shortened rear shocks are cheap and get a great rap generally so they're a winner for me. However there doesn't seem to be a lot of information or availability of 50mm shortened front struts (at a reasonable price at least). I'm off Monroe's, they get a bad rap and cost a fortune. There's some no-named, yellow, shortened struts on ebay for cheap, but i don't really want to F around with a super-low set-up, unless someone has bought them, used them for a while and can vouch for them, then i may give 'em a whirl.

Comcal76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6
I run SSL king's front and rear in my VP and I have 19x8.5 and the ride is good, I have Monroe gas all round

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
I was keen on the Monroes, because they have been specifically designed for Kings, apparently the ride is good with that combo (and I like the colour matching). My reservation with them mainly comes from posts Ive read on here where members complained about durability. KYB generally got a better rap and they are cheaper so the KYB's seem attractive to me. At the moment i'm thinking about rolling the dice on the cheap ass ebay struts, or biting the bullet and getting KYB's.

Comcal76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6
I fitted SL king's and Monroe's to my brother's vx xu6 fitted with 19inch vx gts wheels, and that thing sit nice and rides nice, as for those cheap eBay one's I would not use them in my car so I won't recommend them to you, the other brands that have been mentioned are all good.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Take the beast to Pedders and have them do all the maths and fittings.