Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx supercharged

V

varmint1

I'm new to this forum and after a bit of information. Just purchased a VX Supercharged. It has cold air induction Pacemaker headers 3" sports system. I have been told that with that size system I may be losing power. Can anyone enlighten me to wether this is right.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
3" is probably slightly too much for a relatively stock Super6. If you are planning on modding then it gives you a good base for higher horsepower, but as is you are probably losing a bit.

If you're worried about it, go for a twin cat (this is stock on super6) into single 2.5" mandrel bent system. It'll give you an awesome note and get it moving.

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
i'ld have to do a search, but from memory you loose about 2KW down low with a 3" exhaust on a stock super6.

just get a smaller pulley, that'll compensate :D

V

varmint1

Thanks for that bit of information My son had said that I should take boost up to about 10 psi. That way I shouldn't have to do any more mods as its only a daily driver.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Heh yeah the FIT site will help alot, they live and breath for these engines.

10psi means you probably want to run 98RON (BP ultimate, etc), you want that in a daily?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I replaced the factory exhaust with a FIT 3 inch cat back exhaust and it gave me more power down low. The only other mods i have are Pacemaker headers and modified cold air intake.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
You don't have to worry about exhaust being too big on the S/C V6 as it's low down torque is so great that the little bit you loose down low will be made up by the extra up top.
It's really about how loud you want it or like it.
Once you start increasing boost you'll appreciate the extra exhaust size.
N/A V6's are more sensitive to exhaust sizing, as scavenging is more important than outright flow.
Scavenging is like vaccum and speed together. High speed helps the exhaust in one pipe suck the exhaust out of the next opening exhaust etc etc which in turn increases low end torque and if sized just right will enhance the top end as well.
Remember the old hot rodding adage, Horsepower makes great race cars but Torque rules the street. Think about how often your at or near redline.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Heh yeah the FIT site will help alot, they live and breath for these engines.

10psi means you probably want to run 98RON (BP ultimate, etc), you want that in a daily?

whats wrong with running BP Ultimate in a daily...i run it in my VXII R8
the fuel is cleaner and sparks more consistently

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Nothing wrong with it as such, just it costs alot more.