Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX turning off

VxCommodore4408

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 holden commodore vx
Hello

As I was driving on the freeway I noticed a 'scraping' sound coming every time I tried to accelerate and as i exited the freeway and slowed down my car just completely shut down with the battery light on. I tried turning it on again but it was just making this slow churning sound and then gave up. Everyone said it was the alternator so after having the car towed I went and bought an alternator (a week later). So now before I made the switch I tried turning the car on and it turned on as if nothing was wrong. I checked the battery with a multimeter and it was full. So it's not the alternator. After running the car for about 15 minutes I was about to take it for a test drive and it turned off on me again. This burnt electrical smell came from the engine when I tried turning it back on.. Some of the other forums mention the same symptoms with a problem in the CAS. Any ideas before I spent more money on parts? Also I recently replaced the heater vac because there was a huge leak and the car was overheating over and over again.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Check power cable connector behind the alternator,,,,Don't buy/change parts,,,just call mobile sparky (if you have to).