Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX V6 Electrical Problems

Barneybongo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac Sedan
While driving the other day my whole instrument cluster went dead. All needles dropped down to nothing for about 30 good seconds.
Also during that time my abs light would come on and my stereo would start to go scratchy then cut out.
Car was still driving fine, the odometer was still on and the headunit was still on although it just wasn't playing any sound.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Or have any idea on what these symptoms would lead to?
I just don't want start replacing things that I don't need to.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Could be one of two things, a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator or faulty ABS module.
I am guessing the voltage regulator is allowing over charging, so measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running and if it is high (15-16 volts) get it fixed immediately before damage occurs. If that checks out fine, start looking towards the ABS module.

Barneybongo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac Sedan
Okay so I just went out and tested it like you said and upon going to start my car I found the battery to be dead? Just a click every time I went to turn the ignition. So I grabbed a spare battery I had laying around and threw it in and then bam it started first try. Tested the battery and it read a solid 11.69v at idle. Also while working under the bonnet there was a well noticeable burning smell. I mean I didn't know if anything was burning or not but it was definitely not a usual smell. Could all this be a sign of the alternator on it's way out? Could the alternator be the cause of the battery being flat?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
11.69 volts is too low, replace the voltage regulator (part of the alternator), about $40-$50 and easy to replace. Just to be sure ask an auto electrician to check it first, should cost very little or nothing if you buy the regulator from them.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Alternator may be frazzled internally aswell , mine was cactus and done the exact same thing ,
No gauges , abs on but still drove fine , spat battery acid out due to over charging after 5 mins from gauges dead to switching off at work ( 3klm tops of driving) .

Barneybongo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac Sedan
After a short while or starting the car a few times that second battery also went dead.
Sounds like the bearings or something are also gone in the alternator is it's making a loud noise.
Chucked the multimeter on the alternator and checked the voltage and still only got about 11.3v with car running. Even revving the car made no difference in the voltage when connected to the battery.