Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX v6 n/a ecotec tick - I need help lads!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tick Tock sounds more like a BIG CACTUS ROTATING Knocking of metal parts. Also you have a major exhaust manifold leak, a misfire and an air filter/inlet manifold issue and that’s before anyone knows what it actually drives like and what the noise/damage issue is.

It’s a major cost to fix noises coming from crank/bearings and camshaft/bearings/roller lifters. If you’re lucky it could just be a seized twisted roller/lifter or just a broken/worn cam lobe which would sound like your noise.

Firstly do a compression test just that you know about condition of piston and rings and check the oil pressure. With these 2 things in hand, if you decide to get engine fixed at least you know whether its worth getting it done or time to get another 2nd hand engine as the cost will probably be more than the car.
Man you're good 999, if you can tell it has a leaking LIM from a one minute video. I agree it is probably leaking but for obvious reasons and not because it can be desifired from a decent rattle which is a separate issue.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You would be surprised how many conrods break and the piston just stays in the cylinder with the arm clunking away..

If it was a rod Trevor she would know about it, and the mech who looked at would have been able to say for sure as well. Given it still has plenty of power and it's running ok apart from the noise suggests it's not a rod.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Little end is my internet browser based guess.
Balance shaft might also be possible culprit???

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Take all the plugs out, put a socket and bar on the balancer nut and turn the engine over slowly by hand and see if you can feel a tight spot or an interference in the movement.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not down it, over it, and your probably better to crank it by hand from the crank, or just feel if air is coming out of the hole if you turn the key.

No need for fingers any where near a spark plug hole....Unless you're totally deaf, you'd hear the air coming from the cylinder...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Lol, oil pressure is done from the oil sensor, cylinder testing only tells you if you have blow back from warn rings it wont diagnose a failed oil pump or blocked oil filter or proper pressure.

Oh, so worn oil control rings don't effect oil pressure.....Must remember that 1

A proper compression tests help determine if an engine would require a complete rebuild....

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Oh, so worn oil control rings don't effect oil pressure.....Must remember that 1

A proper compression tests help determine if an engine would require a complete rebuild....
;);):eek:;);)
Next time I fit a oil pressure tacho I stick it in my exhaust manifold then as I cant fit it into the cylinders last time I looked, Oil pressure isn't from the cylinder its from the oil pump, if you test your oil pressure by using a cylinder compressor tester then I stay clear from your workshop, oil pressure monitored by pump pressure, checking your cylinder pressure wont tell you your oil pressure is high or low or if your pump or screen is blocked, to much blow by will probably make your crank seals leak but your oil pressure be still ok, you all ways get a bit of cylinder gas into your sump from the pistons, there only one way to test oil pressure and that is via the oil sensor hole. If you have a blocked screen then get some tube that will fit into the centre oil filter hole and a liquid pump and pump around 500ml of kerosene thru it leaving the sump bolt in with no oil and let it sit for a few hours then pump a bit more then remove the plug and pump 200ml of oil down it before putting the sump plug in and oil filter on then refill.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
;);):eek:;);)
Next time I fit a oil pressure tacho I stick it in my exhaust manifold then as I cant fit it into the cylinders last time I looked, Oil pressure isn't from the cylinder its from the oil pump, if you test your oil pressure by using a cylinder compressor tester then I stay clear from your workshop, oil pressure monitored by pump pressure, checking your cylinder pressure wont tell you your oil pressure is high or low or if your pump or screen is blocked, to much blow by will probably make your crank seals leak but your oil pressure be still ok, you all ways get a bit of cylinder gas into your sump from the pistons, there only one way to test oil pressure and that is via the oil sensor hole. If you have a blocked screen then get some tube that will fit into the centre oil filter hole and a liquid pump and pump around 500ml of kerosene thru it leaving the sump bolt in with no oil and let it sit for a few hours then pump a bit more then remove the plug and pump 200ml of oil down it before putting the sump plug in and oil filter on then refill.

Nice sentences.....

So stufffed oil control rings won't effect oil pressure? Glad I don't take your advise