Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX v6 n/a ecotec tick - I need help lads!

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
Bought this not long ago, needed a bit of TLC.

When this tick started i did an oil/filter change and used 15w 40 oil, thinking the thinner oil would help to clear the oil galleries if they were blocked (thinking it was a valve tick or something oil related). Didn't solve the problem.

I was idling in a town and a mechanic came out and reckoned the Harmonic balancer had gone and it was that which was making the noise.

I replaced the harmonic balancer with a new one but no cigar

I recoed the injectors, and threw in some new sparks, but no cigar.

It's just a light tick sound, doesn't seem to be any wobble.

If i throttle in park, it sort of goes away, but under load (in gear) it's still there.

I was thinking it might be the timing chain tensioner but i wanted to see what other people thought because it looks like a fairly involved job to replace.

This motor has only done 190,000 k's

Below is a youtube video of the actual engine idling.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He gave you a bum steer that doesn't sound much like a balancer rattle. Need to post a vid with revs and the slow down to figure if the chain is the culprit. Almost sounds like a sticky lifter.

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
Thanks for your help.

It was worse before i changed the balancer, and had a bit of a wobble, so it may have been stuffed, it seems a bit better now, also after i recoed the injectors it was a bit better again, but yeah, this tick remains.

Ok, i'll make another vid tomorrow with revs and slow down.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Tick?
I’d hate to hear your definition of a knock!
The knock sounds to be at crankshaft speed. Could be terminal.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
that sounds like a pulley of some sort actually i have heard 5 engines go in the last 3 years and that is not bottom end knock it gets louder in the video as the camera stays at the front as the camera goes to the rear of the engine it gets softer so i see why that mechanic said harmonic balancer im thinking ether its a/c or the alt pulley that is doing that though it could also be the idler tension pulley and tensioner

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
also if it is the bottom end it would have been harder to kick over was it a normal start or was it slow as if its bottom end its harder for the starter to kick engine over and you would notice it too?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
last one that gave way on me was bottom end that had a new starter motor and battery fitted 2 weeks before letting go and once it did it was harder to start and would even kick over once then stop for a sec then fully kick over with the loudest of all knocks