Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX V6 Rear brake issue getting really hot.

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
G'day everyone.

Over the past few months I have started having dramas with my 2001 VX daily driver basically after long drives the rear rotors get extremely hot sometimes the heat transfers through to the alloy rims.

I have tried researching the problem and am having no luck basically what I have done so far is have the handbrake adjusted, I have had the rear callipers re built with new seal kits and cleaned out I have also flushed the entire line and re bleed with fresh fluid the problem however still continues.

I am unsure what to look at next any help on the matter is much appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The only thing both rear calipers have in common is the master cylinder.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like it could still be an handbrake problem. Refer to the item below (although you did not mention any scraping noise):

Hand Brake Scrape - Intermittent scraping noises may be heard from the rear of the car while driving. The noise may appear to go away after re-applying hand brake lever. The front lining of the hand brake shoe may contact the inner drum of the rear disc without the hand brake being applied. In mid 2004, a spring was added into production to centralise the park brake shoe in the drum, and reduce the chance of contact when the hand brake is not applied.

Park brake shoe scrape kit (includes 2 brackets and 2 springs) - Part number 92147813

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
Would the master cylinder also cause an error in the front end if that was the fault?

I honestly don’t believe the handbrake is the issue as when the problem first started occurring I removed the handbrake shoe from one side and completely wound out the other side and took the car for a few laps around the block and it still created heat making me think it had something to do with the calipers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Master cylinder is dual circuit (note the 2 pipes coming out) with an internal bias valve to set the balance between the front and rear brakes.

Does this car have traction control? I believe VX was the change over model, if it has traction control it has the 4 channel ABS unit which means individual circuit for each wheel where as models without traction control only have the 3 channel ABS units and the rear brakes share one feed line for both wheels. If it's the older system it could possibly be a crimped brake line.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
We had the same issue and the fix was to clean the slides.
After giving them all a good cleaning and a re-greasing the hot and smell stopped.

D

devilly

When you undo the cailper bolts you have those slide pins that you remove and put grease on them so its not frozen locked on or off. I would be trying that first and see if it frees anything up. if not that then can be the piston of the cailper but you said its been rebuilt maybe try greasing the rubbers on it.

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
Thanks for all the tips guys. The slide pins got greased when the calipers where re built.

Only thing that makes sense to me is potentially it is the master cylinder. As it’s both sides that are creating heat.

A mechanic also told me it’s not how much meat is left on the handbrake shoes more so it’s the diameter. Do you think it’s worth it replacing the shoes with the new parts BlackVXGTS mentioned?

I’ll keep trying and let you know what the problem was if I ever find it.
Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Cost aside, is put a new master cylinder in it next as it's most likely the issue. If it doesn't fix it, well you've now got a new master to enjoy!
New shoes or old shoes isn't going to make them drag.