Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx v6 running on 4 cylinders

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
hey everyone

basically i was sitting at the traffic lights right next to my work when my car suddenly started idling real rough it almost sounded like a lawnmower, luckily i was 50m away from my work so i slowly drove in but i noticed the car had lost all its power and sounded like the cylinders were firing wrong.

i took the car to the mechanic which was around the corner and he quickly checked it by pulling out each injector to see which cylinders were firing. turns out cylinder 1 and 4 were not firing therefore he told me to replace the single 1 and 4 coilpack. i have just changed the coilpack however cylinder 1 and 4 are still not firing.

can anyone help me out here?

thanks guys

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Dfi module? It's rare but occasionally the dfi will only fail for 1 coil or 2 coils, go to a wrecker and check with one of theirs, also check leads are clipped on properly and maybe if uve got a multi meter check the resistance also maybe one lead at a time check to see if your getting spark at all to cylinder 1 or 4

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
thanks for the reply.

the leads and plugs are fine leads are only 15000km old and plugs are 5000.

ill have a look at changing the dfi module how much can you pick a decent one up for?

thanks again

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Silly question, but you didn't by chance accidentally swap the leads over when you changed the coil pack?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
did u pull the codes to see which ones came up , its very strange just to stop like that , reset your esu , pull the fuse or disconnect battery for 5 min , see how u go , what about the wiring harness undo it from the dfi and spray it (clean it ).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A bad coil can kill the DFI output for that coil.

Exact same thing happened to my missus car a few years ago, she was cruising down the motorway when it lost all power and was running rough. She got it off the motorway just. Some quick testing showed the coil had failed (internal short) which also killed the DFI output. The sad part was that the coil that failed was fairly much new. The shop that supplied the coil replaced it but didn't want to know about the DFI it killed :(

Check ebay, sometimes you can get genuine NOS coils/DFI packs for really good prices.

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
Thanks heaps guys

I was careful not to switch the leads. I called up bursons and they quoted me $315 for the module which I thought was very expensive considering I have seen them on eBay for around $100 I need the car fixed ASAP so I cannot buy off eBay so I think I will check the wreckers after work.

Just to make sure could the problem be anything other than the dfi module?

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
Went and got a second hand DFI module from the wreckers and it fixed the problem. Going to change the oil and filter tomorrow to clear the engine. Thanks so much again