Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx v6 starting issue

DropBearKills

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx v6 Berlina series 2
Hi guys so I got a v6 berlina vx series 2 and have a starting issue that needs to be diagnosed

So it's had a starting issue for a couple of months now sometimes she'll start first go and others she won't completely turn over and may take a couple of attempts and at times I turn the key after the 1st attempt and no sounds from the motor wait a minute or two and engine tries to kick over again any idea what it could be? Cheers everyone

I'm acquiring a new water pump, altenator, starter motor, ignition leads, spark plugs, fuel/air filter, walbro 255 fuel pump & rocket cover gaskets to fix a few existing problems and freshen up the motor

Just for reference the cars about to hit 200,000kms

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Hi guys so I got a v6 berlina vx series 2 and have a starting issue that needs to be diagnosed

So it's had a starting issue for a couple of months now sometimes she'll start first go and others she won't completely turn over and may take a couple of attempts and at times I turn the key after the 1st attempt and no sounds from the motor wait a minute or two and engine tries to kick over again any idea what it could be? Cheers everyone

I'm acquiring a new water pump, altenator, starter motor, ignition leads, spark plugs, fuel/air filter, walbro 255 fuel pump & rocket cover gaskets to fix a few existing problems and freshen up the motor

Probably a starter motor or something around that nature... Used to have a VY which did something similar one time but I can't exactly remember what the problem was...

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I changed my starter motor recently. It survived 400,000k's. It did what you mentioned in the lead up. If you have free road side assist, let them check it. They test if its battery, alternator etc. About $100 but dont try to change yourself if you have a Calais or model with variable steering column. The start will not come out unless you undo tie rods etc.......

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I changed my starter motor recently. It survived 400,000k's. It did what you mentioned in the lead up. If you have free road side assist, let them check it. They test if its battery, alternator etc. About $100 but dont try to change yourself if you have a Calais or model with variable steering column. The start will not come out unless you undo tie rods etc.......
What is variable steering? I've heard of it but is there a difference when compared to the standard rack?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

Try putting more pressure on the key when turning it to start.
Also make sure battery terminals and clamps are cleaned with cleaner tool or sand paper/ emery cloth and refit them.
Do the same with earth connections on the body and engine as well.
Make sure the battery is good .
How old is the remote, is the battery good in it.
Make sure connections to the starter are good.
Remove them meaning pull them off, give em a clean, and refit them is always a good idea.

As to post #3 above, variable steering,
I thought variable steering was controlled by the pump but I have bin wong before.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Cars with variable steering have a different length rack which can make it harder to remove the starter motor without dropping a cross arm etc. Berlina, Statesman have it too. Just have a look and make sure you can take out the starter yourself.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Cars with variable steering have a different length rack which can make it harder to remove the starter motor without dropping a cross arm etc. Berlina, Statesman have it too. Just have a look and make sure you can take out the starter yourself.
And what was the point of variable steering? It seems like it was more of a luxury thing...