Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VX VU:- How to change shocks and springs

VS_Wagon_Baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen 3 VT2 Berlina wagon
Is that really how simple the rear springs are to replace? So you just need to compress the springs andthat's it, no bolts to undo or anything? Wicked, i'm changing my springs next weekend! And just going from stock springs to sedan SL's, is it necessary to change the shock's or will it be ok?

Last edited:

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Theres nothing on here about how to replace the rear shocks and nothing explaining how to disasemble the front shocks.

("Quote" : I only did the springs on the rear as my shocks where fine.)

Mine were too untill they bottomed out a few times. The standard shocks dont last long.

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
I didn't show how to change the rear shocks because I didn't change them.
My rear shocks aren't standard, they are KYBs that the previous owner put on.

I didn't think there was a need to show how to disasemble the the front shocks as it's only 1 nut to undo and then slide everything off remembering the order (see above photo). If people have got this far in the job, I'm sure they can work that part out.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
I didn't show how to change the rear shocks because I didn't change them.
My rear shocks aren't standard, they are KYBs that the previous owner put on.

I didn't think there was a need to show how to disasemble the the front shocks as it's only 1 nut to undo and then slide everything off remembering the order (see above photo). If people have got this far in the job, I'm sure they can work that part out.

Makes sence to me now that I've done them but when following this how to I was lost when it says "pull the old shocks apart"...
I didnt know where to begin and it didnt even say to remove the nut and leave the clamps on untill its pulled apart... (just a pic)
Just on the title it says "shocks and springs" not "Front shocks and all springs" So I was lost when it came time to remove the rear shocks. (but they were easy to cut out)

Also I didnt support the hub assembly with a jack, I just lowered it gently, Is there a reason I should have supported it? Would it damage it if I left it hang?

Other than that it was very helpful:thumbsup:

moe_019

always late in a 3.8 :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
i dont use spring compressors for removing the springs in my vt, find it much quicker and easier to put a small boot jack between the body of the car and on the arm near the bottom of the springs and jack it apart, the jach i have fits perfectly in ste groovs so it doesnt slip at all

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
im about to replace all my springs and wanted to know which bolts are the tension bolts and which bolts are loctited. do i need to buy new bolts to put in or can i just use the same bolts

matt1611

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
What I've found helpful in getting rear spring in too is that you:
Undo the shock on the bottom.
Turn the handbrake off <-- Ended up taking ten minutes after I turned it off rather than 3 hours.
Get someone too apply pressure to the axle which should allow you to simply take the spring out rather than compressing it.
Also I did compress the stock spring too take out, and I only put lows in which just went straight in without any compression.
Pretty much the same but :p

VT-FRENZY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50TH ANNIVERSARY
i just did my fronts on my vt with superlow springs on the standard struts,now my top nut on the shock tower dosent seem to tighten down,is this because i need to use the shorter lowering struts,or have i gone wrong somewhere???

sniper_HASH

Reaction score
Website
fordforums.com.au
Members Ride
WM STATESMAN V6
issue with abs&traction warning lights coming on

so after i did the front coils, the abs&traction warning lights come on. I checked sensor cables and abs fuses, all seem fine, anyone have any ideas?