Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX windows not working

kymbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
HiLux
Im helping a friend with his VX Calais, his windows went down and wont return. Ive checked the fuse which is fine and getting power, checked the relay which is getting power but no power at the console switch. Ive replaced both the fuse and relay just to be sure. The relay doesn't click at all and nothing works. Im guessing a plug has disconnected somewhere? ..but maybe you Gurus will know what the problem is? Give me wind up windows any time..LOL

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You might try and pry the controller out of the console to check connections , they are known to fail , or it may be the window actuator inside the door .

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
My experience most issues are caused by the switch block.

You said all windows go down only?

kymbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
HiLux
Windows WENT down and never came up again. Worked perfectly for years then stopped dead one day. I took the switch block out and used a multimeter to check all connections (about 10 wires) None of them had power with ignition turned on. Ran a long lead from the battery for Earth and checked every terminal with meter. No power at all. Ive checked the fuse which is fine and getting power, checked the relay which is getting power but no power at the console switch.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
argg thats a problem

no master switch there huh

not all window switches would go at once surely

kymbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
HiLux
It has the usual switch, the kids have taken the windows down one by one, and when the owner went to put them up none worked. Seems to me to be a power problem?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I was given a main & 2 rear switches last year. Person who gave them to me said "rear left on main switch did't work & same rear left door switch didn't work. When l tested switches on my car, all switches on main worked, but rear left switch didn't. The rear switch was shorting out the main switch. Maybe something similar is happening on your friends car?

If not, time for the multimeter & start looking for power from relays to next junction till next, till you work out where the fault is.

Hope this helps you.
Lex

kymbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
HiLux
OK, heres where we stand. The owner has rebuilt the switch as in the YouTube vid recommended on your forum. It made no difference so he removed the door cards and I hot wired the motors to drive up all windows with no problem. Ive retested the plug which goes into the switchblock and found no power at all. Im thinking wiring fault. Has anyone got a reliable wiring diagram for the windows?
Thanks for your help so far, your experience and knowledge is saving me a whole lot of trial and error.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Switch block is stuffed..

As others stated, change it