Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX won't start, no check engine light

jigz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've done a lot of work on my car recently, and it was running really well. Done the ignition system - brand new DFI module, coils, leads, spark plugs, injectors. New battery. All new relays. New fuel filter. Now it won't start. No check engine light. Just battery and park brake light. I've checked all the fuses - good.

My first thought was fuel pump. I've listened for it engaging when turning keys to reds. I heard it, perhaps sounds a little different to previous times? I've disconnected the fuel hose from tank at the firewall, put a bottle over outlet and turned to reds - fuel flows, doesn't fly out (which I was thinking it might, as it should be under pressure?), but definitely flows, probably shoots out about 10cm.

I've removed vacuum hose from fuel regulator, no fuel flowed out from it, no overpowering smell of fuel, just a little bit, what you would expect I guess?

As I said it has been running really well, mostly short trips - 20 mins or so. I took it for it's first long trip the other day (1hr 40mins), got there no problems. Went to come home, it started, ran for about 500 metres and then conked out. Wouldn't start again. Replaced battery. First time after new battery it started, struggled for a few seconds, then out again, hasn't started since.

Key here is there is no check engine light, which tells me it isn't something electrical/ignition?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
check for spark when cranking
check red mode light goes out when cranking
no check engine light, does not mean there is no electrical fault

Reactions: Lex

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Blown check engine globe?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I've done a lot of work on my car recently, and it was running really well. Done the ignition system - brand new DFI module, coils, leads, spark plugs, injectors. New battery. All new relays. New fuel filter. Now it won't start. No check engine light. Just battery and park brake light. I've checked all the fuses - good.

My first thought was fuel pump. I've listened for it engaging when turning keys to reds. I heard it, perhaps sounds a little different to previous times? I've disconnected the fuel hose from tank at the firewall, put a bottle over outlet and turned to reds - fuel flows, doesn't fly out (which I was thinking it might, as it should be under pressure?), but definitely flows, probably shoots out about 10cm.

I've removed vacuum hose from fuel regulator, no fuel flowed out from it, no overpowering smell of fuel, just a little bit, what you would expect I guess?

As I said it has been running really well, mostly short trips - 20 mins or so. I took it for it's first long trip the other day (1hr 40mins), got there no problems. Went to come home, it started, ran for about 500 metres and then conked out. Wouldn't start again. Replaced battery. First time after new battery it started, struggled for a few seconds, then out again, hasn't started since.

Key here is there is no check engine light, which tells me it isn't something electrical/ignition?

Thank you

I read you change all the relays,
Why did you need to change ALL the relays ?,
You normally only change a relays if one has failed,
Not sure if you know, different circuits/systems have different relays,
I am tipping you have the incorrect relay inserted for the start and engine systems.

Reactions: Lex

jigz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I read you change all the relays,
Why did you need to change ALL the relays ?,
You normally only change a relays if one has failed,
Not sure if you know, different circuits/systems have different relays,
I am tipping you have the incorrect relay inserted for the start and engine systems.
No, the car has been running fine for a while now with the new relays. I replaced them all because I replaced a few, and figured the others wouldn't be far off - by all, I mean the square 4-pin ones and the 5-pin one. No problem there.

jigz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
check for spark when cranking
check red mode light goes out when cranking
no check engine light, does not mean there is no electrical fault
All red mode lights are out when cranking, except for battery light and parking brake light.
I will check for spark, but if my brand new DFI module has already karked it... also, if there was no spark, pretty sure that would throw out a check engine light somewhere between the computer and the coils?

I am reflecting on your last line...

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
does vx even monitor cylinder misfire?

Taj Mullins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx v6 sedan auto

Thank you

alternator, i had a similar but not quite same problem a lil bit ago when i was driving along and my whole dash went "offline" no speed, no revs, no temp, but the battery and abs light was on. turns out the alternator was overpowering the battery, and just as expected, the alternator brushes were gone. not 100% sure if this is the issue, but the battery light leads me to believe it could be that

Last edited by a moderator:

jigz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
alternator, i had a similar but not quite same problem a lil bit ago when i was driving along and my whole dash went "offline" no speed, no revs, no temp, but the battery and abs light was on. turns out the alternator was overpowering the battery, and just as expected, the alternator brushes were gone. not 100% sure if this is the issue, but the battery light leads me to believe it could be that
Hmm, I have been wondering about the alternator. Have checked it, will double check it. But, surely the car would still start?