Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX2 Calais Temperature Gauge Runs High

tairvine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VX II 3.8
Hi,
My temperature gauge runs high for upto 30 secs then reverts back to normal (usually), it happens randomly it seems at anytime; including a few blocks from starting up so I actually think there is not an issue with the car actually overheating, it seems at a guess to be some electric problem.

I also have an error code 0118 YouTube - Vx2CalaisError0118 , which doesn't seem to make sense as it's not listed in the vx codes. However in a VZ I beleive it means Engine Coolant temperature sensor voltage high. Or possibly I am just reading the code incorrectly (hence the video).

Has anyone else seen something like this, do I just change the sensor? IF so where is it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive just had a look at the OBD11 error code list in the Tech 1 OBD11 section of the user manual,and it says that error code P0118 is the Engine coolant temperature sensor voltage high.
I also found this info below,it might be helpful.

Here is a breakdown of what each digit of the code means:

First Character - The first character identifies the system related to the trouble code.
P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = Undefined

Second Digit -second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.

0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O")
1 = Enhanced (manufacturer specific)

Third Digit - Sub-SystemThe third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code.

1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
9 = SAE Reserved
0 = SAE Reserved

tairvine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VX II 3.8
Thanks. So I am getting a voltage high error on that sensor. Do you know what I do to fix it?

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
hey bud if u have a look at the thermostat housing on the front of the engine where the upper radiator hose comes out, to the right there and down a little( u may have to remove the engine trim cover { 4 10mm nuts}) there is a little sensor with two wires in it, that is the ECT sensor, i suggest checking the resistance with a mulltimeter when its cold then when its hot, note down what u get, and check against the temp/resistance chart, if u havnt got one list what ya get on here n ill look em up for ya, assuming thats ok, maybe a broken wire/short/high resistance somewhere between the sensor and cluster.... let us know how u go....

cheers
brendan

tairvine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VX II 3.8
Cheers,
Is this the right sensor? I thought it would be easy to do the measurements, but I couldn't get my multimeter probes into to the connections, it's impossibly tight in there. I didn't really want to cut the wires either. Is there any trick I am missing?

I measured the voltage over the cable and it seems to be a stable 5 volts, I also measured the resistance to ground, the ground seems grounded and the positive reads open circuit. If there was a problem in the wiring, I would expect those measurements to be a bit skewiff, is my logic right?

Attachments

• TempSensor.JPG
    TempSensor.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 8,672

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
un plug the snesor and get ur multimeter on resistance and check the resistance across the ECT sensor pins, at 20 degrees resistance should be about 3,555 ohms at 100 degrees it should be about 180 ohms, at the harness there should be 5.0 volts on one side and open on the other... so if your sensor dosnt check out i would say its knackered... also remove the plastic strip holding the loom to the dfi module and if you undo the bolt closest to the sensor that holds the coil packs and DFI module on to the right in the picture and lossen the other one a little the coil packs and dfi module should lift up and to the right, u may find it easier to check the sensor readings, just be careful in removing the plug leads if they arent long enough, you will have to right the corresponding numbers on the coils to the leads and pull some off to lift it up.... let us know how ya go mate....

commsec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Executive Wagon
This happened to me also on thursday morning which was a bit of a worry but appears to be a one off. Cant seem to find anything out of the ordinary.... until it happens again. I have a 2001 VX Series II wagon.