Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VXDIAG Diagnostic Tool with GDS2 SW

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Hey all,
I inquired about getting the after blow feature turned on at two Holden dealers, both want $160 to do it (minimum charge quite likely). I've seen on eBay that there are some sellers who have a device which plug into the OBD2 port and comes with a quite likely non legit version of GDS2.

Since Holden will be going the way of the dodo, the idea of flashing changing the setting myself and having a diagnostic tool for the future is attractive. Just wondering if anyone has used one of these to enable the after blow feature?

An eBay seller says the the VF Commodore isn't supported, now I'm not sure if that's his non legit version does not have the right config files, hence my question here. I know that Holden themselves would be using GDS2 to set the feature on my car, as thats what the tech bulletin says to use.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Yeah, no issues finding the dongle, I've even found a copy of the SW online, so might download it and see if I can see any VF related things in any config files.. just was wondering if someone had already tried this before and connected an eBay dongle and dodgy GDS2 software onto their VF and it worked. Seller is claiming for American GM cars only.

AAAC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Motorsport
Hey all,
I inquired about getting the after blow feature turned on at two Holden dealers, both want $160 to do it (minimum charge quite likely). I've seen on eBay that there are some sellers who have a device which plug into the OBD2 port and comes with a quite likely non legit version of GDS2.

Since Holden will be going the way of the dodo, the idea of flashing changing the setting myself and having a diagnostic tool for the future is attractive. Just wondering if anyone has used one of these to enable the after blow feature?

An eBay seller says the the VF Commodore isn't supported, now I'm not sure if that's his non legit version does not have the right config files, hence my question here. I know that Holden themselves would be using GDS2 to set the feature on my car, as thats what the tech bulletin says to use.
I purchased a similar product a couple of years ago. It recognised the VF and I activated afterblow. It is excellent to view data. It can not activate any hidden functions. I also recalibrated my magnetic ride. The system is complicated to set up and very crash-prone.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
now I'm not sure if that's his non legit version does not have the right config files
It's worth noting that models built before 2016 will need to be reprogrammed through Holden's online SPS (Service Programming System). Without a verified programming tool, dealer code, password etc you won't have access.
If it has been programmed already (post-2016 build, or updated at a dealer) then this tool may be able to activate the feature.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I purchased a similar product a couple of years ago. It recognised the VF and I activated afterblow. It is excellent to view data. It can not activate any hidden functions. I also recalibrated my magnetic ride. The system is complicated to set up and very crash-prone.
Thanks for the feedback, as long as I can get after blow enabled, then I'm at least at equal value of taking it to a dealer. Any diagnostic use after that is a bonus!

It's worth noting that models built before 2016 will need to be reprogrammed through Holden's online SPS (Service Programming System). Without a verified programming tool, dealer code, password etc you won't have access.
I have a 2016 model but yeah, it's an important note for other VF owners who may be thinking of doing the same.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I believe I finally activated the afterblow function, haven't tested it yet, but it initially read as Off in GDS2 and now reads as On every time I check it.

For anyone who looks at this thread in the future, here are some pointers in getting the 2019.04 SW to install and run properly:
1) I tried Win7 x64, Win10 x64 which both had issues, finally went to Win7 32 bit and got it to work. Windows 10 x64 installed and seemed to run OK, but I kept on getting 'no communication with vehicle' messages when trying to read DTCs. Installed Windows 7 32 bit and it read my car's VIN and DTCs fine. Win 10 32 bit may also work, but didn't try it.
2) I wouldn't install this SW onto your existing laptop, use a spare HDD and clean OS install if possible. Windows Defender in Windows 10 reported a trojan on the cracked executable. Could be a false positive, but since I had a clean, disposable install, I didn't care.
3) I installed the GDS2 software using the auto installer, then the VX Manager, as per various youtube videos.

A bit of a painful process given the SW, however, for me (before the dollar dropped), it cost about $5 more than the dealer doing it and now I have a tool to read DTCs and reset/calibrate/test various modules in the car.

Hope this helps.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You can use a product like Oracle's VM VirtualBox, a free and open-source hosted hypervisor for x86 virtualization. VirtualBox allows you (amongst other things) to run a 32 bit MS client under a 64 bit operating system. I have run the old Holden VS Commodore Workshop manual on WinXP, Win7, and Win10 32 bit clients, under a Win10/64 hypervisor without a problem. It beats stuffing around with separate PCs and HDDs.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Yep VMs would also be an option. I got plenty of old hardware and HDDs so went that way.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I believe I finally activated the afterblow function, haven't tested it yet, but it initially read as Off in GDS2 and now reads as On every time I check it.

For anyone who looks at this thread in the future, here are some pointers in getting the 2019.04 SW to install and run properly:
1) I tried Win7 x64, Win10 x64 which both had issues, finally went to Win7 32 bit and got it to work. Windows 10 x64 installed and seemed to run OK, but I kept on getting 'no communication with vehicle' messages when trying to read DTCs. Installed Windows 7 32 bit and it read my car's VIN and DTCs fine. Win 10 32 bit may also work, but didn't try it.
2) I wouldn't install this SW onto your existing laptop, use a spare HDD and clean OS install if possible. Windows Defender in Windows 10 reported a trojan on the cracked executable. Could be a false positive, but since I had a clean, disposable install, I didn't care.
3) I installed the GDS2 software using the auto installer, then the VX Manager, as per various youtube videos.

A bit of a painful process given the SW, however, for me (before the dollar dropped), it cost about $5 more than the dealer doing it and now I have a tool to read DTCs and reset/calibrate/test various modules in the car.

Hope this helps.

Which seller did you buy it from ?