Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VXII Clubby R8 Cheap amp+sub install Qs.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Alright, firstly guys just so you know, I have not bought anything yet.. I am just purely needing to get my head around a few things after alot of reading here on the forums.. lol

Okay so as the name suggests, I am planning on doing a cheap sub&amp install to my original HU for my VXII Clubsport R8 '01... After alot of reading I am assuming that I will very much likely will be having to splice? a low level convert (is that the same as an LOC or wtf is an LOC?) up to the outputs of a left and a right of my speakers.. What is better to do, front or back speakers? I will eventually be doing a HU swap, but thats a long way away unfortunately.. So prob still best to install the low level convert near the HU to run the RCA cables back so I dont have to re- lay down the RCA and remote wires at a later date...

I am unsure on what speakers I am running, (dimensions wise) they are all still stock tho.. I think its (an correct me if im wrong)

6inch splits up front
6inch two ways in the rear doors
and possibly 6x9s or something, but def something also in the rear parcel shelf..
(sorry for uber lack of info im at work an also dont wanna pull everythin apart to see dimensions..

As for what amp and sub I will be going, likely something as follows:

1x 800w monoblock amp

1x 600w 12" sub

also, due to finances and time (length or free time haha) I was thinking of installing the low level convert, RCAs, remote wire, and possibly power (but just cover it up real good with tape so it doesn't short out my whole car lol..) first in one go, then get amp and sub at a later date an hook them up..

I hope i havent rambled faaar to much guys.. like i said tried to piece it all together first... and I only want to do a sub... having as many speakers as a currently do in the R8 is rather clear an loud, but just not as much bass as I would like..

also i listen to heavy metal/rock..

my missus however listens to rap/dance/crap lol So hence why i thought a single 12"sub wld be sufficient for both applications..

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Hi there mate, I'm not exactly that great with car audio but if you ask me i don't think audioline are that great of a company for audio, I'm not saying don't get that, i'm just saying that wouldnt be the greatest choice, But if your budget only allows that then yes it will most probably make some bass haha.

I purchased the kicker pack from jb, and i was extremely happy with it. But the pack did cost me $1000 but included all wiring, 2 6" splits, 1 sub 1 amp all fitted.

For around $300 i'm not sure what you could get, possibly Kicker Amp, Sub & Box Combo - Subwoofer - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices! but i'm not sure that will be that good at 100w rms.

What sort of money are you willing to spend on this project?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
if price is an issue then this would possibly be better than the audioline ( correct me if i'm wrong ) Cadence 600 Watt Sub & Amp Combo - Subwoofer - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

But if space is an issue then yes go something like that slimline audioline.

If your not wanting pumping bass and quality then any of those 3 would be fine, probably the kicker would be the better quality out of those 3 unless you increase price to next on the list, the 12" jl Jl Audio 12" 300 Watt RMS Sub In Box - Subwoofer - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

But space could be an issue if you don't want to lose any of your boot! haha,

Sorry if i didnt help at all, just saw this and thought i might try and help. For that price range i can't really think of anything else better than those 3 things. Maybe someone else can help but i'm sure if all you wnt is a bit more bass than either of those will pump more than your stock speakers. :) Hope that helps mate!!

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Well space is and isn't an issue.. If that makes sense.. lol I could easily fit a few dead bodies in the rear of the sedan, however it is a daily, and the one and only car that both me and my missus drive around, so in the case i ever want to go shopping for food.. god forbid.. lol I tend to use a good portion of the boot is all... but those two options where more of a... what sort of money I was roughly thinkin of spending, plus if its possible to go up to 600w as wasnt sure on how good the output of just 375w wld be... I am sure that It would likely suit my application, and probably is exactly what I want..

So thank you very much for having a look and chuckin' some ideas out there mate...

Now all I gotta do is think about how I should hook up the amp/sub... ie. what i was talking about with the converter..

Cheers for the input...

Oh and budget wise, yeah likely round $400 for the amp and sub combined or less is better.. lol excl wiring kit...

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Also from the stock HU is the 12v Output the remote wire? not the constant but the 12V one....? Sorry, possibly stupid Q.. But hey, will feel more stupid if I hook it up wrong..

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
plus if its possible to go up to 600w as wasnt sure on how good the output of just 375w wld be...

the Audioline amp you linked to is 300watts.
the Kicker amp is only rated at 100watts (I'd probably avoid this package)
the Cadence, I'm guessing is the model rated at 250watts. (actually, its more likely to be the monoblock, rated at 200watts at 4ohm)

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
yer, just as ammojammo stated the one you linked is 300w, they are all close... well apart from the kicker ( only said it coz its better quality around that price if you didnt want lots of bass) , and i think the cadence is around 250. Don't bother looking at peak for any speaker, basically means nothing in terms of comparing, some people just double the root mean square to get a peak value and others actually work out the peak value, but rms is always a comparable and "true" value.

For what you are doing i'd say both packs would be fine,

I had the kicker 12" 150w rms sub in ported enclosure and my mirror was vibrating ( although i was running it fairly hard )

So for everyday listening with a bit more bass they will suit fine.

Even a good pair of 6x9's will get a bit more bass but a sub is the way to go.

And sorry what do you mean with the wiring question? just a little confused at what your meaning, ( not sure i'll be able to help but i'll try )

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
sorry i get you now, haha i just re' read it. Umm so vx stock HU?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
if its a eurovox stock vx headunit, i think the remote turn on wire is the yellow red wire, possibly ( don't quote me to it! ) just plug on a 12v light and earth it and turn your head unit on :p haha, and do the eurovox headunits have an aux out? or is that what you mean by the LLC?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Im guessing your meaning High-Low Level Converter? haha sorry just never heard it that way but yer same thing, and yes that would be your best bet, and to answer your question about LOC it means Line Out Converter. ( same thing )