Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VXII Clubby R8 Cheap amp+sub install Qs.

Demoniak

Like a pig in kaakaa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 6.0 SS Ute, 02 VX II SS Sedan
10" Subs are more responsive then 12"s. You will find with your metal that you will have to drop the power to sub so it doesnt flood the music (the low freq).

Amp wise Cadence / Kicker bring out some nice mid/low price ranged ones
Sub wise Cadence / JL bring out some nice mid/low ones.

One sub that will give you good bang for buck is this one:
JL Audio 10W3v3 Subwoofers - Car Audio Subwoofers the 12" is the same power output.. but the 10 is much more punchy.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
haha all set then, and yes if that does it for you then the other cadence ones etc would have NO problem haha but yer really any sub will add extra kick to your system ( as long as its in a proper box and not freeair) haha

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Any of the above mentioned subs may fall short of your expectations. They are all very low powered, and low output subwoofers. Granted if you had say a Barina or something, then it wouldn't be so much of an issue. But in a vehicle the size of a Commodore, it's a lot to ask of any of those subs.

By the time you add wind / road / engine intrusion noise, you'd have a hard time really hearing it.

If having a bit of sound coming from the rear of the vehicle isn't a concern for you, then possibly a decent set of 6x9's, 7x10's ect, might be a better option. If of decent and properly amped, they would provide a good mid bass increase, along with the rest of the range. A decent set of speakers up front and you might be happy with just a good 4 full range speaker setup.

Ditch the ones in the rear door too btw.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Any of the above mentioned subs may fall short of your expectations. They are all very low powered, and low output subwoofers. Granted if you had say a Barina or something, then it wouldn't be so much of an issue. But in a vehicle the size of a Commodore, it's a lot to ask of any of those subs.

By the time you add wind / road / engine intrusion noise, you'd have a hard time really hearing it.

If having a bit of sound coming from the rear of the vehicle isn't a concern for you, then possibly a decent set of 6x9's, 7x10's ect, might be a better option. If of decent and properly amped, they would provide a good mid bass increase, along with the rest of the range. A decent set of speakers up front and you might be happy with just a good 4 full range speaker setup.

Ditch the ones in the rear door too btw.

Alright I will take that into consideration... Might be a good idea....

However I do have one question... Why ditch the ones in the rear door? Would 6 good speakers do better then 4?

Or would there be to much freq cancellation..?

Cheers

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Just thought I would wrap this thread up instead of leaving it open... After lots and lots of looking around a mate put me onto a mate of his who was selling some gear..

I managed to pick myself up:

1x 1300w Sony Xplod enclosed 12" sub (I think its 350rms)
1x Coustic amp600s 2-channel (300rms @ 4ohm when bridged)

All for $60.. Installed it all with a 4AWG amp wiring kit, an luckily it had a high level input so i used that...!

Sounds amazing, also.. gain is basically on min. hahahaha

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
haha good lad :p and remember gain ISNT a volume setting and shouldnt ever be treated as one, well in my opinion anyway :p haha

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Chuck a picture up if you get some time, Love to have a look :p I finished my install today apart from the clear sheet to go on the amps but basically done :) all neons and stuff finished :p i'm happy haha

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Haha I will have to put a photo up eventually.. I have it all the power cords neatly tucked away, super flush an tied up the whooooole way back, then in my boot I just have cord everywhere.. Meh.... haha.... Also the gear is a few years old I am guessin' and its dirty... I cleaned it up half arsed, think it came out alright.. will get fotos later tho...

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
For lack of being able to actually find the pic on the net of it actually.. here are some pics I goggled.. I only have ONE of these bad boys.. lol exact enclosure though.. same mirrord sides, same colour, cept mine is a little dirtier....
7761b96_20.jpeg
0980mf2_20.jpeg

As for the amp well... it looks like an amp.. nothin' special but here is a photo I goggled, yeah i am not near my car otherwise i would take actual photos, will later...

arton1160.png

And thats what it looks like exactly...

All put together with nice thick 4awg.. Looks mean... Just gotta decide how I want it to mount.. If i actually do.. I put velcro on the bottom of the amp so it just sits stil on the boot as for the sub, its pretty freakin heavy and just stays still so far.. thinkin I need to mount it somehow though.. Hmmmmmmmmmmm............