Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VXII Factory fitted alarm question

mourati

Reaction score
I have a VXII (Series 2) Exec, and it has the factory fitted alarm system which beeps a horn under the bonnet (firewall area) if a door or boot or bonnet is opened without first pressing the key fob "unlock" button.

Issue I have is bonnet switch does not activate the alarm??? Alarm otherwise works fine. Tested the doors and boot and sound is great! I have taken switch off bonnet and noticed two wires are connected into it. Is this correct? Also changed switch with new one but this has not helped. Shouldn't the alarm horn sound if I pop the bonnet?

Any advise or fuse etc I should look into and why are there two wires connected to the switch with bridge connection? Also can you change horn for siren under the bonnet. Any brands woth looking into? Jaycar sell some good sirens but not sure which ones will work with existing system. Cheers all and thanks for your help. :)

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Try leaving your bonnet open for a while. I've noticed when working on my car with the bonnet open and the doors locked the alarm will go off after 10-15 minutes. I now leave the doors unlocked when I work on it XD. Check the bonnet switch for continuity when pressed and lack of continuity when not pressed to determine if it's working.

mourati

Reaction score
Checked wiring with voltmeter and works well; when switch is pressed in and fully extended. It's got be buffed on why it won't trip alarm. What other options are there to check investigate further???

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
OK, want to give any details on what was wrong for other members that find this topic?

mourati

Reaction score
Sorry - should have explained in more detail. The switch itself has one terminal plug blade and this is bridged using a brass twin bridge plug for two wires that feed into the single switch. If this brass connector does not allow the current to draw down correctly the signal to switch is poor and wont trip the alarm. Replaced this with a new one and presto, alarm always works well. Check also too the screw that earths the switch to the body. This is important too as dirt/grit gets under it and can prevent a good earth so a good clean will help this area.
PS - love your ride. I reckon the SC6 was a beauty of an engine. Would have loved to get my hands on one but seems there getting up there in the mileage range.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
They're getting up? I got mine at 75000, right now the ones i've seen are at 85000, which is where mine's at too LOL

That's not high!

But thanks for the details too.

nanny185

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S pack
when my alarm goes off the hazards go but no horn? any one no wat could be goin on? when the hazardss are goin i can hear the relay in the bonnet clicking... could it be the horn? cheers