Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Edit:SOLVED! Air in power steering lines is most likely cause. Issue went away after longer drive. Perhaps do a few full locks when front wheels are in the air to bleed air from power steering lines if you perform similar repairs. Thanks to all who assisted! Shout out to VC commodore. Plenty extra tips learned along the way!

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can suggest what my problem may be. I have just replaced a lot of things:
-radius rod bushes (mackay solid rubber)
-lower control arms (mackay with new bushes and ball joint)
-springs and shocks
-strut top mounts
-sway bar links and bushes and mount bushes

The steering now does not return to centre. More so on a RH turn.

I noticed the manual says the drivers side radius bush should have a washer behind it. Could not having this washer cause such an issue? The radius rod bushes I replaced were that nolathane type so I would say they chucked this OEM washer. If I wanted to keep the mackay bushes I just put in, what size thickness washer do I need to return the caster to original spec? Perhaps if someone has factory suspension they can comment how thick their washer is?

Could misalignment in toe/camber also be causing my problem or am I looking at something more sinister?

Everything has been done by the book and triple checked so I am considering a rack problem...

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The caster should be equal on both sides without anything like washers (unless Holden is that bad at design/manufacture). There's also the chance that the Nolathane bushes you replaced were ones that increased caster and the Mackay ones you got are OE spec so the caster isn't as forceful as it was before.

At what point did you get this all wheel aligned?

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
The caster should be equal on both sides without anything like washers (unless Holden is that bad at design/manufacture). There's also the chance that the Nolathane bushes you replaced were ones that increased caster and the Mackay ones you got are OE spec so the caster isn't as forceful as it was before.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had a wheel alignment yet as I want to make sure all is good so I don't have to do it twice.

Good point about the caster but I find it hard to believe it would be so much worse as the steering actually doesn't return at all after turning the wheel sometimes.

I have done some measurements and both sides are geometrically the same. I.e radius rod rear bush to front chassis rail or top of strut shaft to body etc

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

I believe the passenger side wheel has more caster from the factory, I believe this is done to allow for cambered road surfaces to stop the car pulling to the left. I could be wrong.

I would have left the original spacer/washer where it was located unless you have a new kit that is adjustable.

VC Commodore might give a better explanation for it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The extra caster on the left side is usually dialed in or a bush/washer/spacer is used for most cars, no idea with the VX.

I would get a wheel alignment before you do anything else as you've changed almost every component associated with the front suspension, the toe settings for the previous setup are rendered null and void because any alignment you had before will be set and compensating for different (possibly unknown) components at different levels of wear, and the toe for the previous setup could now even be different side to side. If the toe is a decent amount out now it's going to effect how the steering and caster acts. Depending on the strut tops used you will have changed the height of the car slightly too.

I would rather pay the $50 to possibly find out it was a likely alignment issue than replace a rack that wasn't an issue before this work but might be one now. Replacing the rack isn't fun, or particularly cheap if you're paying somebody else to do it.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Our VXII had the extra washer fitted. I just and adjustable caster kit so got rid of the extra washer but did add the extra spacer on the one side to maintain the factory difference.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Thanks guys,

I think I'll chuck a 4mm washer in and see how that goes while taking it to the shop. Should the rack be easy to push/pull from the tie rods if they are disconnected from the knuckle? with the engine off. going to check if the rack is binding up

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Should the rack be easy to push/pull from the tie rods if they are disconnected from the knuckle? with the engine off. going to check if the rack is binding up

Not really, that's what 1500psi of hydraulic fluid is for. You can just do it by moving the wheels, you'll be able to feel if there's anything wrong.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I fitted these to my VX GTS. I think they were Nolathane. Fitting instructions attached. Note the diagrams showing the various washer configurations.

Attachments

• Suspension Bush Large Diagram.pdf
    527 KB · Views: 239

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can suggest what my problem may be. I have just replaced a lot of things:
-radius rod bushes (mackay solid rubber)
-lower control arms (mackay with new bushes and ball joint)
-springs and shocks
-strut top mounts
-sway bar links and bushes and mount bushes

The steering now does not return to centre. More so on a RH turn.

I noticed the manual says the drivers side radius bush should have a washer behind it. Could not having this washer cause such an issue? The radius rod bushes I replaced were that nolathane type so I would say they chucked this OEM washer. If I wanted to keep the mackay bushes I just put in, what size thickness washer do I need to return the caster to original spec? Perhaps if someone has factory suspension they can comment how thick their washer is?

Could misalignment in toe/camber also be causing my problem or am I looking at something more sinister?

Everything has been done by the book and triple checked so I am considering a rack problem...

Thanks for any input.

Correct as BlackVXGTS posted .... The nolathane front caster kit bushes come with different size washess
I replaced mine and left washes out and drove to wheel aligner round the corner and he did the wheel alignment and put the correct washes to suit. He used a small one on drivers side and a small one plus the 3/4mm one on the passengers side and car is great/drives strait. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.