Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Status
Not open for further replies.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I believe the passenger side wheel has more caster from the factory, I believe this is done to allow for cambered road surfaces to stop the car pulling to the left. I could be wrong.

I would have left the original spacer/washer where it was located unless you have a new kit that is adjustable.

VC Commodore might give a better explanation for it.

Caster is a greater value on the left, to counter the camber of the road....Roads are sloped to the left, to allow water to run off easier..(in theory anyways, but not always in practice), so the front left is further forward to counteract this slope (camber)....

Washer placement....With aftermarket kits, they have 3 different thickness washers...Generally on the left,, you put the thinner washer lower control arm side of the radius rod behind the large factory style washer, to help them drive straight.

With factory washers....There are only 2 large ones so difficult to mix them up...Just make sure, the left and right are done seperately, so not to mix them up.....However over the years, I have found that the radius rod (or Z bar as it is also called) straightens out, so the caster on the left is equal or less than the right, so the car tends to drift left....So a quick fix is, put another 1 or 2 factory style washer/s lower control side of the K-frame. This applies with all Commodores, from VB through to VF and is perfectly safe....

As for the issue of not centring....I'd be looking at the top strut mounts being the cause first......Make sure they are moving freely....Then move to the control arm making sure it is greased up, at the K-frame mounting point....If they're all good, unfortunately it'd be the rack....Honestly I seriously doubt it'd be an alignment issue in anyway, but it is a remote possibility

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Correct as BlackVXGTS posted .... The nolathane front caster kit bushes come with different size washess
I replaced mine and left washes out and drove to wheel aligner round the corner and he did the wheel alignment and put the correct washes to suit. He used a small one on drivers side and a small one plus the 3/4mm one on the passengers side and car is great/drives strait. :)

So what did the aligner do with the other supplied washers? They are surposed to be put back on the radius rod, for future use.... You didn't mention what position on the radius rod the aligner put those washers in to get the car driving straight....Position of the washers on the radius rod determine the caster and the caster in this instance is what gets the car driving straight...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Yes, the kit comes with instructions for a standard set up, but unfortunately time changes standard....For the back yard quick fix, putting the thinnest thickness washer (won't get into thickness diamentions), lower control arm side behind the factory large washer left hand side, generally is suitable to get it driving straight, so you can get to the aligners, for them to correct as necessary. The rest of the washers go in front of the radiator support panel side of the factory large style washer behind the radius rod nut

For the right, the middle thickness washer goes lower control arm side behind the large factory style washer and the rest at the front, as I previously described

If an aligner wants to charge extra for this adjustment, tell them to bite there butt....To move the washers to the correct position, it takes another 10 minutes maximum.....You are paying for 1/2 hours of the aligners time and that 10 minutes falls into that 1/2 hour alotted time frame

Last edited:

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Caster is a greater value on the left, to counter the camber of the road....Roads are sloped to the left, to allow water to run off easier..(in theory anyways, but not always in practice), so the front left is further forward to counteract this slope (camber)....

Washer placement....With aftermarket kits, they have 3 different thickness washers...Generally on the left,, you put the thinner washer lower control arm side of the radius rod behind the large factory style washer, to help them drive straight.

With factory washers....There are only 2 large ones so difficult to mix them up...Just make sure, the left and right are done seperately, so not to mix them up.....However over the years, I have found that the radius rod (or Z bar as it is also called) straightens out, so the caster on the left is equal or less than the right, so the car tends to drift left....So a quick fix is, put another 1 or 2 factory style washer/s lower control side of the K-frame. This applies with all Commodores, from VB through to VF and is perfectly safe....

As for the issue of not centring....I'd be looking at the top strut mounts being the cause first......Make sure they are moving freely....Then move to the control arm making sure it is greased up, at the K-frame mounting point....If they're all good, unfortunately it'd be the rack....Honestly I seriously doubt it'd be an alignment issue in anyway, but it is a remote possibility

Thanks heaps for your input!

Just want to clarify that the Mackay "aftermarket" kit didn't come with any washers. And before it there was a nolathane kit in its place. I'm not sure if the washers that were used with the nolathane kit I have taken out were factory washers. I would say they chucked them. So in this case, what would you recommend in terms of washer placement? In your explanation are you referring to placing the washers on the drivers side? This would give the drivers side less caster than the left which makes sense with your explanation about road camber. How many mm would you recommend I space out the Drivers side?

I have disconnected the tie rods and the disc and suspension swivels freely back and forth so no binding in strut mounts or ball joints. Is there any way you can suggest to check it is the rack? The first time I turned the car on after the replacement of parts I did notice the power steering groaning without touching the wheel...

Thanks again

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

I knew you would put it into words better than I could be bothered:):rolleyes:

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
If someone could also comment with a VXii SS alignment specs it would be appreciated. Even my Holden workshop manual doesn't specify..

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mackay "aftermarket" kit didn't come with any washers
Cheap ones don't they just a standard fit, I seen a video clip where the moron left the washers off and the radius rod just punched thru the bush. I would just put it on using your original washers and go and get a alignment done they will add washers if need be.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Here you go not much different vt and vx maybe wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot (54).png
    Screenshot (54).png
    508.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot (55).png
    Screenshot (55).png
    642 KB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot (56).png
    Screenshot (56).png
    397 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot (57).png
    Screenshot (57).png
    310.5 KB · Views: 133

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Thanks trev, any chance you could email me this manual ;) also attached pic of the bush. I was under the impression the washer was built in to the bush assembly.

Attachments

• 20200514_150522.jpg
    20200514_150522.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 149
Status
Not open for further replies.