Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VXII random clunking started all of a sudden

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Its funny when you get a new car , that you notice every little noise and rattle and always think "OH MY GOD MY CARS GOING TO FALL APART ON THE MOTORWAY" , it'll be fixable , but I know what you mean about expecting the worst about such things , my Alfa Romeo comes over all Italian sometimes , and I feel like taking a sledgehammer to it , but its usually just something minor .

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 98 SS 195i 5.0L 304 HSV ENHANCED
Yeah it's getting to the stage with commodores that I'm going to wear ear plugs and keep bonnet closed at all times lol

SmartAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Just got the sway bar link pins and bushes replaced. I got a heavy duty link pin kit from eBay (with polyurethane bushes) for $50 including postage, Wasp brand - don't know if they're any good. My friend of a friend mechanic replaced them yesterday for $100, so $150 all up. No more clunking. Yay!
Although, since the clunking was investigated, there's been a rubbing sound coming from the front passenger side *sigh* The mechanic took a look and found a scorch mark on the rim and said it looks as though the steering rack is rubbing on the rim on one spot. As he was in a hurry to get to his date last night, I didn't want to keep asking questions. I'll leave that for another day. In the meantime, anyone got any ideas how this can be fixed - how hard & costly it might be?

SmartAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
The clunking started again! My mechanic friend of a friend came round today and found that the new polyurethane bushes he replaced with the sway bar link kit were shot and in even worse condition than the rubber ones it originally had! I bought the kit on eBay for $50 including post - WASP brand, so stay away from it if you need bushes.
The funny sound from the wheel is as it turns out is the tyre itself. The tyres are almost new Bridgestone ones but this one has 'egging' - uneven surface or slight bulging in part which is causing the noise. It's either a defect or the tyre was old (but unused) stock. I didn't realise tyres had a use by date :/

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
in QLD a roadworthy cert is good for 60 days (i think) if someone did a dodgy one and there was something like a leak they have an obligation to repair it - you may have recourse that way, where did you buy the car?

SmartAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Unfortunately mpower I haven't got any recourse - I bought the car from a private seller :/

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
cant find nsw regs on roadworthys/safetys