Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VXII random clunking started all of a sudden

SmartAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
I bought my VXII 2001 Acclaim 10 days ago. It's done 186000km, full service & repair records - well looked after. Today out of nowhere this weird random clunking started. At first I thought it was coming from the back, I can't be sure but it seemed to come from the front as well. I felt it but not through the steering wheel or pedals. It happened randomly, nothing seemed to trigger it. The trip was about 12km and the clunking happened right through the whole trip intermittently. I'm a woman, I don't know a huge amount about cars, but enough to get me by - I do like to fix things myself. Hope someone can help!

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 98 SS 195i 5.0L 304 HSV ENHANCED
I bought my VXII 2001 Acclaim 10 days ago. It's done 186000km, full service & repair records - well looked after. Today out of nowhere this weird random clunking started. At first I thought it was coming from the back, I can't be sure but it seemed to come from the front as well. I felt it but not through the steering wheel or pedals. It happened randomly, nothing seemed to trigger it. The trip was about 12km and the clunking happened right through the whole trip intermittently. I'm a woman, I don't know a huge amount about cars, but enough to get me by - I do like to fix things myself. Hope someone can help!

Sounds like tail shaft, the clunking noise hmmm, that could be a few things, transmission mount, or rear tail shaft seal from transmission to drive shaft, the uni's (rubber shocks on the shaft) and various others, take it back and make sure they didn't do something wrong. What was done for the service?

SmartAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Sounds like tail shaft, the clunking noise hmmm, that could be a few things, transmission mount, or rear tail shaft seal from transmission to drive shaft, the uni's (rubber shocks on the shaft) and various others, take it back and make sure they didn't do something wrong. What was done for the service?
Thanks for your reply. Going through the previous owner's receipts, the last service was done in April '13 - other than the usual, the water pump, thermostat & gasket were replaced. The last repair done before that was in May '12 replacing the engine mounts, tappet cover gasket, and steering rack (which actually still makes a noise when turning).
Do you think I could still drive it?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Take it somewhere are at least get a quote to fix and then you will know whats wrong and you can fix it yourself.
When we bought ours we thought we wouldn't be able to repair anything on it because its a modern vehicle but so far
except for the lowering and the brakes upgrade we've done everything else.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get a pedders 28 point safety check, its only $14 and should not take more than 30mins. They do brakes, steering and suspension. They will most likely be able to diagnose the problem. They will also give you a list of things that need attention,

But be careful they may put bogas things on the list. Get them to show you the things on the list while its on the hoist so you can judge for yourself. Take someone with you who knows more about cars.

SmartAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Thanks NeddyBear and Kernal, good advice. Will get it looked at today hopefully and post back with what the problem and proposed solution is.

In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas on what the problem could be please post your idea :)

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah call around a few places try to stay away from dodgy looking sheds lol, need to get right up there looking for anything worn, the car would still be drive able but obviously not a normal noise, mine turned out to be the rubber uni's and whilst un bolting that I put the rear main seal in for the sake of it as I noticed a bit of leaking. That knocking sound could even be a sloppy exhaust rubber hanger

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
See it's hard to know what kind of knocking and where can you feel it in your feet as in your feet or in the steering, does it speed up the knocking sound as your speed up, are there any points in time where the sound disappears?

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a loose a/c half bolted on once just dangling there, still unsure how I managed to keep driving another 12ks and the belt didn't break and got home re bolted the a/c back on lol, umm hopefully your engine mounts are on tight. If that's the problem it's a quick fix. If your with RACQ call them up and get them to do a quick check over and let them drive it

SmartAlex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Thanks for all your posts guys.

Wow colourmesilver, a/c half hanging off would have freaked me out - lucky you could fix it in time!

So later today I had a friend of a friend who is a mechanic come over to see if he could tell what the problem was. He briefly checked under the car and found the diff has a leak, he checked the engine mounts (they're fine) and took it for a drive. When he got back he said it's a suspension problem and said by the sound of things it's more than likely the sway bar links. He's coming round tomorrow with his tools, jack etc to have a better look and properly diagnose the problem (he was on his way out).

I had the sway bar links replaced in another VXII I owned and it cost me $300, I may do it myself this time but if he offers me a good price for the repairs I may take him up on it. The diff leak is minor, but I'll have to tend to that at a later date. Anyway, I gave the mechanic a couple of beers for his trouble, and I'll probably give him a 6 pack as well as $50 for his time tomorrow when he comes back.

I'll post back here with the diagnosis - might help someone else with the same issue. The mechanic said I could still drive the car, so I took it for a spin and noticed it did clunk turning corners, mainly the left side and as well as the intermittent clunking it was doing before. I think I just freaked out yesterday, but it's just one of those things.