Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vxr vs calais

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by Mjrobbo88, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Mjrobbo88

Mjrobbo88 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vfsv6
    Hi, just a question as I’m not entirely familiar with the zb series. I must say they have grown on me and I’m going to either purchase a vxr or a calais in the v6 option. Can someone shed a
    Bit of light in the difference between the two ? I know that the vxr has the brembos and is a more sportier ride, but essentially is the calais the exact same engine ? Is the engine sound amplified through the stereo like the vxr is ? The price difference between the two is massive , and the calais is tempting, any help much appreciated.

2. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    ZB MY18 Calais V Tourer , VF MY14 Calais V
    Continuous Damping Control is an option on the VXR but not available on the Calais V. This makes quite a difference to the ride as the VXR adjusts the ride to keep it smooth but the Calais V is fixed. I drove both these models and I found it noticeable when driving over road covers and irregular patches. Both have 20 inch low profile tyres. I think the VXR have a different brand to the Calais V but I might be wrong. CDC is not cheap to put in a car and this together with the superior sports seats in the VXR contributes to the difference.

Mike Lowry likes this.
  3. Mjrobbo88

Mjrobbo88 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vfsv6
    Cheers for that

4. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    VXR has Michelin Pilot Sports and the Calais-V has Continental SportContact 6.

The other differences Benny didn't state are mainly cosmetic, the VXR has different badging (of course), a slightly more prominent rear spoiler, different front bumper with driving lights that the RS/VXR doesn't get, the VXR gets the exclusive VXR drive mode, and the Calais gets a different (and I think better) range of colour choices.

But to definitively answer your questions:

Yes the engine is identical with the same output
    Yes there is a slightly artificial engine note, but it's nowhere near as bad as VWs. I've had several people tell me my car sounds better on the outside and I'm inclined to believe them.

I guess it ultimately comes down to what you want your ZB to do. I originally looked at test driving a RS-V but when the sales guy said they'd let me take a VXR out I never looked back. Drive both and you'll know which one you want, I guarantee it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  5. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    Calais for comfort, VXR for 'sportiness'.

Both great cars, but the Calais can be had in a 'V' wagon - I went with the RS-V wagon as it had the sports seats which I preferred over the Calais'.

If you don't have need for a wagon, I'd suggest you drive them back-to-back for an accurate comparison. Straykiwi will have to confirm this, but the VXR has a 'VXR Mode' button which extracts more herbs from the engine... VXR is the fastest of the bunch, and with the trickier suspension is more of a drivers' car; the Calais will give you optimum comfort.

:)

6. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    I was not aware that the RS-V had sports seats . I thought they were the same as the Calais seats but you would know with having one.

After driving both the VXR and the Calais V I would say that the VXR is more comfortable actually. There is pretty much nothing optioned in the Calais V that the VXR does not have. The VXR has more comfortable seats and better suspension so results in a better ride for the driver.

arsevee likes this.
  7. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    My Calais V Tourer came with Continental SportContact 5 tyres but these are SUV tyres according to the sidewall and also a different size and profile

8. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    [​IMG]

wetwork65 likes this.
  9. VFRDLN

VFRDLN Member

Members Ride:
    ZB CalaisV Tourer
    I have a CalaiV Tourer as I need the room the wagon offers but would have bought a VXR if a sedan was an option as I like the look of the VXR.
    In the Tourer we get the same electronic suspension as the VXR so the differences are the sports seats, Brembo brakes, larger 20" wheels and a massaging passenger seat.

10. StrayKiwi

StrayKiwi Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB VXR
    VXR mode does 3 things:
    1. More aggressive shift pattern for the transmission tuned specifically for best performance
    2. Firmest setting for the active dampers
    3. A rearward bias for the AWD system
    It does wake the car up a lot but I suspect it's all in the gearbox/drivetrain rather than the engine. There is nothing in the documentation that suggests it gets more power.

11. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    I would have looked into a VXR if I could have fitted comfortably into the Recaro seats, plenty of people don't including the salesman who sold me my car.

Adjustable suspension and the Brembo's are good bit of kit for sure, although I am quite happy with the brakes in my Calais V. Decorative add on bits to make it look a bit sportier in VXR, is personal taste. Plenty of talk that the Calais V ride is a bit firm on 20's and depending upon your taste this could be a fair call. I swapped out my 20 inch rims for some 18's with 45 profile tyres and find the ride-handling fine and a better fit for me than with 20's.

Only you can decide if the VXR is worth the extra money. Much will depend upon what deal you can get for each model.

StrayKiwi likes this.
  12. kos

kos Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Lt
    RSV how comfortable are those seats? They look pretty exxy

13. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    They're standard in the RS-V...

14. Badgerdog

Badgerdog Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Calais V
    Dead ringer for the seats in the Calais, pretty sure they're the same.

15. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    Same as the Calais-V, the Calais' are 'flatter':

[​IMG]

16. kos

kos Active Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Lt
    RSV you missed the question....how comfortable are those seats?

17. wetwork65

wetwork65 A wet business

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
    I reckon my (and maybe wife's) arses are narrow enough to fit in those RSV seats.
    Given the prices low mileage second hand ones are going for in Victoria, I'm starting to get interested in buying one.

18. Mjrobbo88

Mjrobbo88 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vfsv6
    car sales seem to have very thin stock of used / demo vxrs in Victoria in either black / grey. Has anybody have experience getting a red hot deal on a new car price?? Looking at spending $40k max,which is achievable through used car dealer , but frustrating there’s barely many out there

19. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    I don't think Holden have sold many vxr new. They seem to be mostly executive GMH driven which are then auctioned off to the Holden dealers who subsequently sell them. Thus means general motors bear the loss and the dealer network get the car cheaper wholesale as trying to sell one for 60k would be very hard . If you check the warranty book it will state if general motors port Melbourne is the original owner.

Yes there are quite a few white and red . The former most probably company cars and the later a purchaser who wanted a sporty car . i notice that some of these vxr gave done 30k km in 12 months so driven a lot

20. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    With the VXR is the artificial engine noise only sent through the Bose sound system when in VXR mode or is it all the time?