Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vxr vs calais

Mjrobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vfsv6
Hi, just a question as I’m not entirely familiar with the zb series. I must say they have grown on me and I’m going to either purchase a vxr or a calais in the v6 option. Can someone shed a
Bit of light in the difference between the two ? I know that the vxr has the brembos and is a more sportier ride, but essentially is the calais the exact same engine ? Is the engine sound amplified through the stereo like the vxr is ? The price difference between the two is massive , and the calais is tempting, any help much appreciated.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Continuous Damping Control is an option on the VXR but not available on the Calais V. This makes quite a difference to the ride as the VXR adjusts the ride to keep it smooth but the Calais V is fixed. I drove both these models and I found it noticeable when driving over road covers and irregular patches. Both have 20 inch low profile tyres. I think the VXR have a different brand to the Calais V but I might be wrong. CDC is not cheap to put in a car and this together with the superior sports seats in the VXR contributes to the difference.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
VXR has Michelin Pilot Sports and the Calais-V has Continental SportContact 6.

The other differences Benny didn't state are mainly cosmetic, the VXR has different badging (of course), a slightly more prominent rear spoiler, different front bumper with driving lights that the RS/VXR doesn't get, the VXR gets the exclusive VXR drive mode, and the Calais gets a different (and I think better) range of colour choices.

But to definitively answer your questions:

Yes the engine is identical with the same output
Yes there is a slightly artificial engine note, but it's nowhere near as bad as VWs. I've had several people tell me my car sounds better on the outside and I'm inclined to believe them.

I guess it ultimately comes down to what you want your ZB to do. I originally looked at test driving a RS-V but when the sales guy said they'd let me take a VXR out I never looked back. Drive both and you'll know which one you want, I guarantee it.

Last edited:

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
Calais for comfort, VXR for 'sportiness'.

Both great cars, but the Calais can be had in a 'V' wagon - I went with the RS-V wagon as it had the sports seats which I preferred over the Calais'.

If you don't have need for a wagon, I'd suggest you drive them back-to-back for an accurate comparison. Straykiwi will have to confirm this, but the VXR has a 'VXR Mode' button which extracts more herbs from the engine... VXR is the fastest of the bunch, and with the trickier suspension is more of a drivers' car; the Calais will give you optimum comfort.

:)

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais for comfort, VXR for 'sportiness'.

Both great cars, but the Calais can be had in a 'V' wagon - I went with the RS-V wagon as it had the sports seats which I preferred over the Calais'.

If you don't have need for a wagon, I'd suggest you drive them back-to-back for an accurate comparison. Straykiwi will have to confirm this, but the VXR has a 'VXR Mode' button which extracts more herbs from the engine... VXR is the fastest of the bunch, and with the trickier suspension is more of a drivers' car; the Calais will give you optimum comfort.

I was not aware that the RS-V had sports seats . I thought they were the same as the Calais seats but you would know with having one.

After driving both the VXR and the Calais V I would say that the VXR is more comfortable actually. There is pretty much nothing optioned in the Calais V that the VXR does not have. The VXR has more comfortable seats and better suspension so results in a better ride for the driver.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR has Michelin Pilot Sports and the Calais-V has Continental SportContact 6.
My Calais V Tourer came with Continental SportContact 5 tyres but these are SUV tyres according to the sidewall and also a different size and profile

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
I was not aware that the RS-V had sports seats . I thought they were the same as the Calais seats but you would know with having one.

335601_7.jpg

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
I have a CalaiV Tourer as I need the room the wagon offers but would have bought a VXR if a sedan was an option as I like the look of the VXR.
In the Tourer we get the same electronic suspension as the VXR so the differences are the sports seats, Brembo brakes, larger 20" wheels and a massaging passenger seat.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Straykiwi will have to confirm this, but the VXR has a 'VXR Mode' button which extracts more herbs from the engine

VXR mode does 3 things:
  1. More aggressive shift pattern for the transmission tuned specifically for best performance
  2. Firmest setting for the active dampers
  3. A rearward bias for the AWD system
It does wake the car up a lot but I suspect it's all in the gearbox/drivetrain rather than the engine. There is nothing in the documentation that suggests it gets more power.