Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY 03 Calais vibration at 20-40kms

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just throwing it out there, I've herd things like this before and it turned out to be spark issue breaking down under load, so maybe the engine is why its vibrating under load hence the reason only doing it on acceleration, just a idea.

djwatson93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03 Calais L36
Just throwing it out there, I've herd things like this before and it turned out to be spark issue breaking down under load, so maybe the engine is why its vibrating under load hence the reason only doing it on acceleration, just a idea.

Just at certain speeds and not all the time?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Report back once you replace the trans mount. Sometimes a slight variation in uni angles is enough to cause vibes. If the engine mounts improved it i think the next step is the trans mount. I did mention it earlier but was more thinking of the rear angles and not the engine side.

djwatson93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03 Calais L36
Report back once you replace the trans mount. Sometimes a slight variation in uni angles is enough to cause vibes. If the engine mounts improved it i think the next step is the trans mount. I did mention it earlier but was more thinking of the rear angles and not the engine side.

Yeah I put a second hand one it was good for a few drives and then went back to vibrating

I'll try a new trans mount

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you got a small video camera you can tape under there to see what's going on, are the uni joints ok or what about the tail shaft coupling.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I've noticed the centre bearing on the tailshaft has been replaced so I wonder if they put it in the wrong position
I don't think they are adjustable but if it was flogged out maybe its done damage to the tail shaft and its out of balanced.

djwatson93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03 Calais L36
I don't think they are adjustable but if it was flogged out maybe its done damage to the tail shaft and its out of balanced.
Yeah need to tape my phone under there something,

If they've taken the tailshaft off and replaced the centre bearing or unijoint and have put it back together in the correct positions without marking it there is like 200 odd positions from what I've seen

I'm hoping the just haven't put it back in the right position from the trans to diff because then theirs only 4 available positions

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah need to tape my phone under there something,

If they've taken the tailshaft off and replaced the centre bearing or unijoint and have put it back together in the correct positions without marking it there is like 200 odd positions from what I've seen

I'm hoping the just haven't put it back in the right position from the trans to diff because then theirs only 4 available positions
I'm just wondering if the person who replaced the centre bearing if they crushed the tail shaft in a vice, a smart person would mark the positions before removing the tail shaft with a marker to line the shaft back up in the correct position that's what I do, sometimes just removing the back tail shaft bolts from the diff and spinning the shaft 1 holes along and bolting them back up till you find the correct hole works I don't know why it just does. Maybe they didn't mark the 2 halves when separating them and put it back on wrong.
I did my mates sons VT uni-joints and transmission rear shaft seal for his road worthy and he hasn't had a issue. I suppose the original paint mark be gone that Holden put on, I suppose you just have to try adjusting it a bit by bit till you get it right. I would even suggest to buy a good second hand shaft and swap it out.

djwatson93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03 Calais L36
You've never seen a tailshaft in one of these have you?
I'm just wondering if the person who replaced the centre bearing if they crushed the tail shaft in a vice, a smart person would mark the positions before removing the tail shaft with a marker to line the shaft back up in the correct position that's what I do, sometimes just removing the back tail shaft bolts from the diff and spinning the shaft 1 holes along and bolting them back up till you find the correct hole works I don't know why it just does. Maybe they didn't mark the 2 halves when separating them and put it back on wrong.
I did my mates sons VT uni-joints and transmission rear shaft seal for his road worthy and he hasn't had a issue. I suppose the original paint mark be gone that Holden put on, I suppose you just have to try adjusting it a bit by bit till you get it right. I would even suggest to buy a good second hand shaft and swap it out.

Yeah exactly their a 2 piece TS,

Yeah once I get a video of it underneath it should help me diagnose it,

Yeah I'm hoping they put it back to correctly cause a new TS costs a bit