Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy 04 calais Taillight issue.

Theon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 04 calais s2 ls1
Hey guys,
I have a vy 04 calais s2 ls1

The issue is intermittent, my cluster warns me LH brake-light is faulty(ONLY). I go check, yep correct. Then I do Mr.Bean style tap it and light works again (but cluster says fault with brake-light).

I have check fuses, light bulbs and changed the Tail Lamp Rear Light Harness. no luck.

I am out of ideas. HELP!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Is the Dash & Tail Lights Original Equipment, and not aftermarket ?
Are you using the correct Globes ?
12V 21/5 Watt with off set pins ?
and not LED Globes.
Check the Socket terminals for damage/corrosion,
and check ALL the wiring Earth/Ground wire in the boot.

If you have a Towbar and Trailer Socket, make sure there is dry, and isnt any loose/shorting wires in that.

Theon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 04 calais s2 ls1
Thanks for the reply.

Q: Is the Dash & Tail Lights Original Equipment, and not aftermarket ?
A: Cluster orginal. I had vy calais taillight lens, but changed it to vz calais tailights. (as they look alot better)
Q: Are you using the correct Globes ?
A: Yes.
Q:12V 21/5 Watt with off set pins ?
A: Yes, Part# - (BAY15D)
Check the Socket terminals for damage/corrosion. - Yep, nothing.

Check ALL the wiring Earth/Ground wire in the boot. - Do you know where it's located?

- If you have a Towbar and Trailer Socket, make sure there is dry, and isnt any loose/shorting wires in that.
--- I didn't check that,

Theon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 04 calais s2 ls1
Updated

- If you have a Towbar and Trailer Socket, make sure there is dry, and isnt any loose/shorting wires in that.
** Checked, couldn't see a fault with the cable or any damage.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
All you can do is is back probe (a Saftey pin is good for this- don’t let it touch metal or other wires)

The light sub harness might be good, but the rear harness it plugs into might not.

The left rear is also connected a bit weird to the trailer harness. I’d disconnect the trailer harness (on the right side) and plug it in as if it had no trailer.

I’m going to guess a loose pin in the left rear plug. You tap it and creat some slight movement in that are and it works. So there’s a clue.
It’s handy to get a pin removal tool to depin the plug, come to think of it, for that plug, a small healers screw driver is able to release the tab holding the wires in.

Could be a corroded crimp on that wire.
The crimps might be available from EFI Solutions.

Maybe even try some small long nose pliers on the female pin and squeeze it shut a little more before doing anything. Get a tight fit onto the male pin.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
De-pinning

Back probing a plug allows you to test the integrity of the circuit without disconnecting it. Never pierce a wire. Just don’t. Inserting a modified Saftey pin or proper back probe down the back of a plug, under a weather seal and feeling it contact the pin allows an accurate and non destructive way of testing a wire.
Preferably use a multimeter rather than a test light. You really want to test how many volts there is, test continuity (it beeps) and test the earth as well.