Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy (6 stacker) subwoofer help. only working from one side.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
hi, happy new years!

what my problem is..
i have 2 subs in my boot and because i still have the stock head unit i took the wires from the woofers in the parcel shelf turned them into RCA's and was planning on using them for left and right for my 1000w sony monoblock.

what is happening is.
when i plug in both left and right RCA leads i get practically no bass and just weird distorting noises where bass should be.
you can plug one in at a time and the bass is perfect but when you plug both in it stuffs up
at first i thought it was my subs becaause they were new until i fond out you can plug in 1 at a time
then i though my amp may have stuffed up because it had not been used for 6 months or so.

so i put in the other 2 12" subs from my excel with the blaupunkt amp and i get the same problem where i can only plug one side in at a time to get full bass

its been running like this for about 3 weeks and even though you get even bass from both sides all the time so its not affecting the songs i still dont think its right

i was told it could possibly be the anti distortion in the head unit so i turned it off but same problem.

umm.. i put connectors to make it go from 2 - 1 RCA to see if that was the problem but i get the same result

i also did it the other way so i get them going from 1 - 2 but it sounds fine like that.

hope you understood my rambling and can help me with my problem! thanks.

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
BAGGED 04 VY SS S2 HBD MANUAL UTE
ok are the subs in the shelf factory? if so they are already amped and you will need to tap off the rear speaker feeds at the amp located insode the left hand rear quarter and can be acessed through the boot by removing the side carpet. this is how my amp and sub is set up. just remember if you do this you are taking a high input and your amp will need to be set accordingly. also i foynd best sound is achieved with the factory amp unplugged, bass srtting on the hu set below half and anti distortion turned off through the dash options menu when you start the car. then after a little trial and error with the sub you can get a good sound. i soon have plans to remove the factory amp amd replace it with an aftermarket 2 ch without lfp and run new 6x9 s in the parcel shelf for better sound again.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
ok are the subs in the shelf factory? if so they are already amped and you will need to tap off the rear speaker feeds at the amp located insode the left hand rear quarter and can be acessed through the boot by removing the side carpet. this is how my amp and sub is set up. just remember if you do this you are taking a high input and your amp will need to be set accordingly. also i foynd best sound is achieved with the factory amp unplugged, bass srtting on the hu set below half and anti distortion turned off through the dash options menu when you start the car. then after a little trial and error with the sub you can get a good sound. i soon have plans to remove the factory amp amd replace it with an aftermarket 2 ch without lfp and run new 6x9 s in the parcel shelf for better sound again.

thanks keeny.
the guy tried to sell me 2 8" rockford fosgate dual voice coil subs for the parces shelf for $400 or so.
but standing in a box right next to him were 2 15" usaudio subs in a box for $135 each.. based on the fact they just push air figured that would be better for the overpowering bass i wanted. i do not regret my decision at all.

and yeah i already run it anti distortion off with the bass at -3 with the trebble at +6 as the stock speakers dont give out that ear shattering high fqz that i hate.
and it sounds pretty good.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
i took out the stock amp and put my afm one in the hole it came from just needed to make different screw holes.
yet it still has the same problem.
with everything on the head unit set to standard i get more power out of 1 set of wires than the other set
so still having the same problem there. any other suggestions besides a new head unit ?