Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY ADVENTRA 5.7 AUTOMATIC ~ please advise pros and cons of buying a 1 owner

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION OF THE PROS & CONS OF VY ADVENTRA ?

• ALL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ALL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BEEVEE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ADVENTRA 5.7, FE 1957 SEDAN, EH 202 SEDAN, OLDS
Hi all,
was hoping to broaden my knowledge thru anybody on this forum that can give me their opinion on a 1 owner VY Adventra that has been looked after, never abused, and FULLY & professionally serviced by a VACC Mechanic every 6,000 to 10,000kms(max) without fail, and using the best of materials from Ryco and Castrol. Has done around 120,000kms

Owners want to be rid of it and I thought I should preserve a "modern Holden" to keep my 1957 FE and my 1937 Oldsmobile company !

What issues did Engine or Trans have if any ? Back in 2010, "Check Engine" light was addressed with a new OIL Pressure switch which cured the problem for a few weeks, only to come back on. After 4 OP Switches at $120 each, owner gave up and left it to blink for years with no side effects. Power Steer hose is just starting with a tiny leak.

Does anyone have a suggestion other than another new OP Switch ? First 2 replaced years ago were Nasco units, then a Tridon from Bursons, then a Bosch from Repco; none were any better than the other. Prob all made in same factory.

Also need 4 of the 100mm Mag Hubcaps on stock factory mags (keep getting stolen!) which I'll super-glue on when I get some.
REGD CAR.png
REGD CAR.png

Last edited:

bazagorokan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 CALAIS 2012, A6, 3.6
Hi all,
was hoping to broaden my knowledge thru anybody on this forum that can give me their opinion on a 1 owner VY Adventra that has been looked after, never abused, and FULLY & professionally serviced by a VACC Mechanic every 6,000 to 10,000kms(max) without fail, and using the best of materials from Ryco and Castrol. Has done around 120,000kms

Owners want to be rid of it and I thought I should preserve a "modern Holden" to keep my 1957 FE and my 1937 Oldsmobile company !

What issues did Engine or Trans have if any ? Back in 2010, "Check Engine" light was addressed with a new OIL Pressure switch which cured the problem for a few weeks, only to come back on. After 4 OP Switches at $120 each, owner gave up and left it to blink for years with no side effects. Power Steer hose is just starting with a tiny leak.

Does anyone have a suggestion other than another new OP Switch ? First 2 replaced years ago were Nasco units, then a Tridon from Bursons, then a Bosch from Repco; none were any better than the other. Prob all made in same factory.

Also need 4 of the 100mm Mag Hubcaps on stock factory mags (keep getting stolen!) which I'll super-glue on when I get some. View attachment 210024 View attachment 210024
there is a really good Adventra and Holden all wheel drive forum on facebook which has a wealth of information from dedicated owners , great forum for 4Wd Holden owners.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi all,

Also need 4 of the 100mm Mag Hubcaps on stock factory mags (keep getting stolen!) which I'll super-glue on when I get some. View attachment 210024 View attachment 210024

What is the asking price ?
If it is a good price, snap it up.
As for the OP switch, could it be the connector ?
Maybe get it scanned, as it may have other underlying issues, that will in the history of the BCM.
The other option, maybe get OP Switch from a Wrecker, then it genuine.

BEEVEE

Reaction score
Members Ride
there is a really good Adventra and Holden all wheel drive forum on facebook which has a wealth of information from dedicated owners , great forum for 4Wd Holden owners.
Thanks for the tip...............will check it out

BEEVEE

Reaction score
Members Ride
What is the asking price ?
If it is a good price, snap it up.
As for the OP switch, could it be the connector ?
Maybe get it scanned, as it may have other underlying issues, that will in the history of the BCM.
The other option, maybe get OP Switch from a Wrecker, then it genuine.
Thanks krusing,
we tried GENUINE GMH OP Switch at $130.00 and tried $30 ones from ebay which looked exactly the same
and no deal.............Scanner at GMH and local mate VACC Mechanic all said this was a common fault, but needed long
testing to find cause as it didnt have a "common cause"; I'll keep doing tests myself when I have time.
Whole car runs faultlessly and only $3G !
Cheers

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Be interesting the cause of it going into fault all the time.

Not sure if this may help,
But the L76's & L77's had a small wire gauze oil filter under the oil pressure switch,
If this does have the same type of filter on the 5.7, maybe its partially clogged, and not allowing oil to flow freely,
Below is what I did to my VE for lifter noise, It may be totally relevant but you never know.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/l77-dod-filter.276639/#post-3025092

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Let us know how you go.

Bob m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy II adventra lx8
Hi all,

Looks like an lx8 but cx8 wheels. If you don't want it I'll buy it for that price. Wheel centres are available from holden, silver grey or black I think, but holden want about $40+ ea. Probably why they're getting nicked.