Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Air Conditioning Compressor Replacement

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Dear Members,
I need to replace the Air Conditioning Compressor in my VY, due to it vibrating.
Where the Air Con is working Fantastic, being climate control.
However, eg: when you are driving and coming to set of lights, and motor is idling down,
the compressor sends a vibration through the car, and you can hear, and feel the dash vibrate.
You can also see it when you give it a manual squirt on the throttle with the bonnet is open.
But the Air Con is working perfectly.
Turn the Air Con off, and no vibrations at all.
The other side of this,
I would like to have the system Vacuumed out,
I will change the Compressor,
Then return, or they come to me, and re-gass it.
As I would like to give job to a JC Member, pending its a reasonable price,
as I have had a couple of quotes and its a bit over the top to Vac & Re-gass.
Any feed back welcome.
Is there any JC Members that in the South Suburbs of Melbourne [Bayside Area ] that I could give the Work to, as I would like to support the JC members ?

Last edited:

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Krusing, I had similar symptoms when I had a VY. I did have the compressor go in my VY and had to replace it but my AC was vibrating all the time, not just when coming to lights. Replacing the compressor would be an expensive job. Before shelling out the big bucks I would want to make sure that it isn't some sort of control valve before changing the compressor.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds more like a load issue, if your compressor have bad bearings you would think going faster will increase the issue, Is the A/C mount ok, how old are your plugs and leads, if you do decide to replace it you will need a Receiver Drier and some say replace TX valve too, I replaced my TX valve and compressor my self and let the person to do the drier so it doesn't get any moisture before re-gas, parts where just over 500, re-gas 160 + 15 to fit drier. Also as mentioned mounts including gearbox saddle.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I thought I had an air con compressor problem in a VP years ago, but it turned out to be the harmonic balancer was shot.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
The whole car is original and has been WELL looked after, and garaged all of its life, including up to now,
the original owner was a Rep, and its was his car, and traveled around Victoria seeing his clients, so if anything went wrong with it, the company fixed it.
So at the end of the 3 year lease, we purchased it at 113,000 k/m, he is a close Family Friend, as his wife and my wife went to school together, so the history of the car is there from new, and its almost in showroom condition still, apart from the usual 17 year old marks around the body.
Everything is original, apart from the usual service items.
The items that have been replaced , Front Suspension Bushes, Brakes, Rotors, Radiator, Belts & Pulleys, Power Steering Pump & Reservoir, and installed the High Pressure Hose to stop the Steering Vibration at low speeds,
and replaced the single spinner Diff with a LSD with the same ratio of 3.07.
Replaced the 2 Key Heads only mid last year, purchased them and programmed them in.
The Wreckers I bought the LSD Diff from asked, what is it was going in, then told him, and he said if its that clean, hang on to it.
Its a keeper, and I wax it after each wash.
I went to a car show to see some other vehicles on show a little while ago, and I had a guy offer me $10K,
as he hadn't seen a 2002 VY Super6 Calais that clean for years, he couldn't believe under the bonnet how clean it was.
So I sort of figured, I will hang on to it and preserve it a bit longer, may not go up in price that much, but it's my hobby.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
How old are your engine mounts?

Original Engine Mounts,
Doesn't move with you give it a squirt on the throttle under the hood.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Krusing, I had similar symptoms when I had a VY. I did have the compressor go in my VY and had to replace it but my AC was vibrating all the time, not just when coming to lights. Replacing the compressor would be an expensive job. Before shelling out the big bucks I would want to make sure that it isn't some sort of control valve before changing the compressor.

This is only when idling down,
When the sun comes out, and try and record it.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought I had an air con compressor problem in a VP years ago, but it turned out to be the harmonic balancer was shot.

Someone else said to check the HB, but its running true.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds more like a load issue, if your compressor have bad bearings you would think going faster will increase the issue, Is the A/C mount ok, how old are your plugs and leads, if you do decide to replace it you will need a Receiver Drier and some say replace TX valve too, I replaced my TX valve and compressor my self and let the person to do the drier so it doesn't get any moisture before re-gas, parts where just over 500, re-gas 160 + 15 to fit drier. Also as mentioned mounts including gearbox saddle.

When Driving, it doesn't vibrate at all, if anything is very smooth, as usual, a bit noisy when its kicks in first, till it circulates the refrigerant, and very cold in summer, pulls the inside temp down very quickly.