Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Air Conditioning

Jono VY2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
hey guys, i have gone through days of looking at posts about the climate control vaccum problems where the vents change from face to screen under accelleration load, though i have read lots of threads about this topic i have not seen any real solutions , anyone that has had this problem can you please post the reasons and fixes for it. :)

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
It's not a problem, its designed to do that. Under high load the a/c will switch off and the vents go to the floor posistion. Also does it on the non climate controled cars too.

mad_dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
could this also be with the 92 vp berlina, because my commodre air con was working fine,
it is about to be registered, it is parked on a slight slope.
when i turn the air con on the other day the vents changed fine, however now it is stayin on floor mode.
any ideas??

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
this is a vacuum problem, the mode should not change unless you alter the setting, it indicates a lack of vacuum at the actuators, either one of them is leaking or the supply line is leaking or crimped

mad_dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
ok thanx, would you be able to give me advice on how to fix it??

BERVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina Int Wag 6cyl
I just fixed mine - replaced the vacuum actuator that is behind the stereo ($18) get access from drivers footwell, just remove side trim from centre consol, 1 screw and just pull out and slot the new one in.
While I was lucky that this fixed mine, it could have easily been another actuator that as far as I can tell is not easily accessed (waaaay up in the dash behind the glove box and air cond system) or even something else entirely, but as this one is pretty easy to get to it is worth a try.
Some have also said that sometimes the small black & white one-way valve behind the engine block can be faulty. Again, cheap and easy to change so worth a try. I changed mine but it wasn't the cause.

Good luck.

mad_dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
thanx for your response :)
i went down to check it out and you would not beleive it but it is working fine now, not sure what was wrong but i hope it stays working, if not ill take it to an air con place.
thanx again.
;)

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Guys, I have been reading this thread and I'm a little confused. I have a VYII Calais that is doing all of the above. On heavy acceleration load it sometimes will flick from cabin to screen setting and it feels like it "dumps" full air on the screen for a few seconds then when i ease off the throttle it returns to cabin. That is a "normal" thing for them to do? Then when im on cruise control and it slightly loads up a little hill then the vents "stop" (presumably when the accelerator works slightly) then when it returns to flat the vents start again. That is a vacumn problem? So I might try BERVY solution and see what happens? My Mech said its easier to fix on VT's but he wasnt sure where and how many vac act's there are on the VY. Thanks for any help.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I'd be checking for vacuum leaks,a mate had the same problem,ended up being a leaking vacuum reserve bottle under the front left guard next to the washer bottle. Its a round plastic ball looking thing.His had a small split.The car also ran heaps better after we replaced it.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Some people say this is a feature. Couldnt be further from the truth.
I took mine into holden and got it fixed when it the car was serviced. cost $60 all up, parts and labour
Hasnt done it since