Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY antenna mast

hit2407

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Hello. I have a vy series 1 commodore s pack. I broke my antenna mast. It is an electric one. Holden are charging $180 for a replacement mast. Does anyone know where i can get it at a better price and how to install it?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You can purchase replacement masts from Supercheap or Autobarn. Replacement is reasonably straight forward but there are some tricks.

You need to remove the inner mudguard lining, remove and dismantle the aerial, leaving the power connected. An assistant to operate the switch will be helpful.

Remove any parts of the broken mast. There should be a nut securing the mast into the top of the aerial.

Insert the drive cable into the aerial hole, engaging the teeth with the drive gear on the motor.

Reconnect the leads and have the assistant operate the down switch. Once the mast has fully retracted, the aerial can be re-asembled, mounted and the guard liner reinstalled.

Make sure all connections are tight

Test the aerial in both directions. It might actually eject fully. If this happens, you will probably need to go to an auto electricial to have the gearbox in the aerial correctly positioned so that it cuts out at the right time. There is a small timer segment on the drive gear that needs to be in the right position for the aerial to work correctly.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yea, antenna masts are about $20-40 from Supercheap. I need a new mast too. Trees dont agree with an electric aerial. But you MUST be careful with a VY mast, Series 2 will not fit a series 1, and vice versa. There is a little bit of an overlap period where both were used, but mostly they're different.

Aeropro make the masts. You can find them on their site too.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
replacement masts are 17 bux from my holden dealer it would be all labour they will be charging you

hit2407

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
has anyone used an electrician to do this job. how much was the labour and part cost? holden dealers charge too much!!!

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
hit2407, mechanics can even do this work! Especially if it's just a mast. Go down there and enquire one day?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yes but some car audio shops are employing young fellas with absolutely no idea what they're doing and then you've got to take the car somewhere else to get thier mistakes fixed. NOT ALL BUT SOME.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
most holden dealers also employ young ppl with no idea
ive never seen a car audio shop on tv with customers cars doing burnouts